Grade Level: 3rd - 5th; Type: Physical Science
To investigate how magnetism can defy the force of gravity.
- Can the force of gravity be defied?
- Which is more powerful: gravity or magnetism?
Gravity is a force that pulls all things to the earth. Magnetism is another very strong force that is even stronger than gravity.
- small magnet
- Gather the necessary materials.
- Tie a piece of thread to the paperclip.
- Stand a shoebox vertically. Tape the end of the thread not tied to paperclip to the bottom of the shoebox so that the paperclip almost reaches the top of the box.
- Place the magnet on top of the box. Bring the paperclip to the top of the box and let go. Record the results.
- Remove the magnet. Record the results.
Terms/Concepts: gravity: the force that causes all things to fall toward the center of the earth magnetism: a force caused by a magnet; Gravity and magnetism are both strong forces. Gravity pulls things toward the earth. Magnetism can pull things against gravity.
“Magnetism” at http://www.explainthatstuff.com/magnetism.html “Kid Facts about Magnets” by Jason Thompson at http://www.ehow.com/about_6459609_kid-magnets.html