Create A New Programming Language
Grade Level: 9th - 12th; Type: Computer Science
Create a new programming language that improves on the old ones. The goals of this project are:
- To design a new computer programming language.
- To create a presentation that illustrates the features of the various programming languages currently in use.
- What are the basic qualities common to all computer programming languages?
- What programming languages are currently available?
- How are new programming languages developed?
A computer programming language is an artificial (deliberately created) language, designed to give instructions that are carried out by a computer. Thousands of programming languages have been created. This project challenges you to design a new or improved computer programming language.
- Computer with Internet access
- Color printer
- Digital camera
- Typical office/hobby/hardware/craft supplies (paper, poster board, glue, etc.).
- Standard computer programming software
All necessary materials can be found in or around your home, at local stores, or on ebay.
- Read overview of relevant topics (see bibliography below and terms listed above)
- Address all of the above terms and research questions.
- Search and print out interesting images relevant to your topic.
- Take photographs throughout the course of the experiment.
- Analyze at least three different programming languages.
- Design a new or improved programming language.
- Create a display that illustrates the features of your new language, and the way(s) in which it improves on other programming languages.
- Include interesting photos, diagrams and models in your science fair display.
Terms/Concepts: Algorithm; Artificial language; Flowchart; HTML; Markup language
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programming_language (An overview of programming language)
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_programming_languages (History of programming language)
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML (Overview of HTML language)
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_programming_languages (Comprehensive list of programming languages).
- Internet searches of your choosing. Search words or terms listed here, or make up your own phrases. Click on any results you find interesting. Have fun surfing the net!
Warning is hereby given that not all Project Ideas are appropriate for all individuals or in all circumstances. Implementation of any Science Project Idea should be undertaken only in appropriate settings and with appropriate parental or other supervision. Reading and following the safety precautions of all materials used in a project is the sole responsibility of each individual. For further information, consult your state’s handbook of Science Safety.