Grade Level: 9th - 12th; Type: Computer Science
Create a new programming language that improves on the old ones. The goals of this project are:
- To design a new computer programming language.
- To create a presentation that illustrates the features of the various programming languages currently in use.
- What are the basic qualities common to all computer programming languages?
- What programming languages are currently available?
- How are new programming languages developed?
A computer programming language is an artificial (deliberately created) language, designed to give instructions that are carried out by a computer. Thousands of programming languages have been created. This project challenges you to design a new or improved computer programming language.
- Computer with Internet access
- Color printer
- Digital camera
- Typical office/hobby/hardware/craft supplies (paper, poster board, glue, etc.).
- Standard computer programming software
All necessary materials can be found in or around your home, at local stores, or on ebay.
- Read overview of relevant topics (see bibliography below and terms listed above)
- Address all of the above terms and research questions.
- Search and print out interesting images relevant to your topic.
- Take photographs throughout the course of the experiment.
- Analyze at least three different programming languages.
- Design a new or improved programming language.
- Create a display that illustrates the features of your new language, and the way(s) in which it improves on other programming languages.
- Include interesting photos, diagrams and models in your science fair display.
Terms/Concepts: Algorithm; Artificial language; Flowchart; HTML; Markup language
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programming_language (An overview of programming language)
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_programming_languages (History of programming language)
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML (Overview of HTML language)
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_programming_languages (Comprehensive list of programming languages).
- Internet searches of your choosing. Search words or terms listed here, or make up your own phrases. Click on any results you find interesting. Have fun surfing the net!