Do Different Types of Oil Mix or “Stack”?
2nd - 5th
In this experiment, we will find out whether different types of oil mix or stack on top of one another.
- Can you think of different ways that oil is used?
It is widely known that solids have different weights, but liquids also have different weights as well. Oil is viscous in consistency and slippery in texture. There are many different kinds of oil. Some are edible (like peanut or coin oil) and some are used for lubrication in personal and industrial applications.
- Peanut oil
- Canola oil
- Corn oil
- Olive oil
- Baby oil
- A large, deep clear glass or plastic container
- A large spoon
- In the large, deep clear container pour about one cup of each kind of oil inside.
- Observe if it “stacks” or looks like an undistinguished “blob”.
- Try mixing the oil with a large spoon and see if it “settles” out or stays mixed.
- Record your results.
density; properties of liquids; properties of oil; fat molecules; liquid molecules
Warning is hereby given that not all Project Ideas are appropriate for all individuals or in all circumstances. Implementation of any Science Project Idea should be undertaken only in appropriate settings and with appropriate parental or other supervision. Reading and following the safety precautions of all materials used in a project is the sole responsibility of each individual. For further information, consult your state’s handbook of Science Safety.