Fermentation occurs with the oxidation of organic compounds. This results in various alcohol-based products like beer, wine and certain fuels. In this project you will observe and demonstrate the fermentation process.
How do foods ferment?
- Computer with Internet access
- Color printer
- Digital camera
- Typical office/hobby/hardware/craft supplies (paper, poster board, glue, etc.).
- Various organic compounds like fruits, grains and sugars.
- Fermentation equipment (see links below)
- Carefully study the related literature (see bibliography below).
- Address all of the terms and research questions mentioned here.
- Search and print out interesting images relevant to your topic.
- Take interesting photos throughout the course of the experiment.
- Experiment with fermenting various fruits, grains or syrups (see links below).
- Describe and illustrate the fermentation process in a detailed report.
- Include graphics, charts, diagrams and samples in your science fair display.
Warning is hereby given that not all Project Ideas are appropriate for all individuals or in all circumstances. Implementation of any Science Project Idea should be undertaken only in appropriate settings and with appropriate parental or other supervision. Reading and following the safety precautions of all materials used in a project is the sole responsibility of each individual. For further information, consult your state’s handbook of Science Safety.