Grade Level: 6th - 8th; Type: Chemistry
To investigate what type of cookie sheet bakes the best cookies.
- Does the cookie sheet affect the way cookies bake?
- Is one type of cookie sheet better for keeping cookies from burning?
Who doesn’t love a warm gooey cookie right from the oven? There are many different factors that go into making the perfect cookie, but for this investigation the baking sheet will be examined.
- 3 or 4 baking sheets with different coatings such as nonstick, aluminum, insulated, etc.
- Cookie dough and cookie baking directions
- Gather the necessary materials.
- Preheat the oven according to the cookie directions. Prepare each pan in the same way according to the cookie directions.
- Fill each tray in the same way with spoonfuls of cookie dough according to cookie directions.
- One at a time, place a cookie tray with the cookie dough into the oven. Set timer according to directions. When the timer goes off, immediately remove the cookies from the oven. Allow the cookies to cool.
- Repeat step 4 with the other trays of cookie dough making sure to place them on the same rack in the oven and baking for the same amount of time.
- Compare the cookies and record your observations.
- Analyze the data and draw a conclusion.
Terms/Concepts: teflon: a brand of nonstick coating. Conduct: to transmit heat. Different cookie sheets conduct heat in different ways.
“Different Types of Cookie Sheets Yield Different Tasting Cookies” by Debbie Dragon at http://ezinearticles.com/?Different-Types-of-Cookie-Sheets-Yield-Different-Tasting-Cookies&id=186863 “What Types of Cookie Sheets Affect How the Cookies Come Out” by Linda Manes at http://www.ehow.com/facts_5595201_types-affect-cookies-come-out_.html “Baking and Cookie Sheets” at http://www.homemade-dessert-recipes.com/baking-and-cookie-sheets.html