Grade Level: 5th to 8th; Type: Biology/ Entomology
This experiment determines if insects are attracted to heat or light.
- How do insects sense heat?
- How can insects tolerate hot surfaces?
- Can insects see light?
- If so, how do they see light?
Ever wonder why bugs always fly around your lights? Let’s find out why in this fun experiment.
- Electric lantern (Light)
- Gas lantern (Heat)
- Wait until nighttime.
- Take both the electric and gas lanterns outside.
- Place the lanterns about two feet apart.
- Monitor both lanterns and record how many insects stop at each lantern by tallying points on a two-column chart.
- Analyze your data and decide if insects are drawn to lights because of their heat or their light?
Terms/Concepts: Entomology, Sensillum, Heat, Surface to weight ration relating to heat
Heat tolerance: http://jap.physiology.org/content/54/3/831.extract.
Disclaimer and Safety Precautions
Education.com provides the Science Fair Project Ideas for informational
purposes only. Education.com does not make any guarantee or representation
regarding the Science Fair Project Ideas and is not responsible or liable for
any loss or damage, directly or indirectly, caused by your use of such
information. By accessing the Science Fair Project Ideas, you waive and
renounce any claims against Education.com that arise thereof. In addition, your
access to Education.com's website and Science Fair Project Ideas is covered by
on Education.com's liability.
Warning is hereby given that not all Project Ideas are appropriate for all
individuals or in all circumstances. Implementation of any Science Project Idea
should be undertaken only in appropriate settings and with appropriate parental
or other supervision. Reading and following the safety precautions of all
materials used in a project is the sole responsibility of each individual. For
further information, consult your state's handbook of Science Safety.