All necessary materials are readily available.
Project Time Frame
This project explores new uses for an old lighthouse.
The goals of this project are:
- To develop a modern interior lighthouse design.
- To further encourage lighthouse preservation and restoration.
Materials and Equipment
- Computer with internet access
- Color printer
- Digital camera
- Measuring device
- Typical office/craft/hobby supplies (paper, pens & poster-board, wood, glue, etc.)
All materials can be found in your home, at local stores, or on ebay.
Although modern technology has rendered them obsolete, old lighthouses have a quaint, historic charm that has led to many attempts at preserving them. These once-so-powerful, beaming towers have become a much romanticized symbol of safety and renewed hope. Greatly admired for their architectural beauty and picturesque surroundings, visiting and photographing lighthouses is a popular hobby all over the world. Some private and public organizations pay large sums of money to have lighthouses moved onto their properties. If you had a lighthouse, how would you design such a tall, narrow space?
- What’s the best use for the interior space of an antique lighthouse?
- How can this space be designed for maximum comfort and convenience?
- What are some of the principles that govern the design of such a space?
Terms and Concepts to Start Background Research
- Research related materials (see bibliography below)
- Search and print out images of lighthouses that interest you. Notice interior space.
- If possible, visit real lighthouses, and examine their interior spaces.
- Measure these spaces.
- Take many photos.
- Sketch several original interior designs for an existing space.
- Indicate structural details, architectural features, and placement of items.
- Carefully indicate all measurements when drawing up your plan.
- Build a model that illustrates your idea.
- Clearly describe your methods, materials, and estimated cost in a detailed report.
- Include your model and sketches in your science fair display.
- Show interesting photos taken throughout the course of the project.
Wiki topic: “Lighthouse” and “Interior Design.”
http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/lighthouse/ (thousand of lighthouses all around the world)
Internet searches of your own choosing: Search for any of the terms listed above (or make up your own phrases to search), and click on any results that interest you. Have fun surfing the net!
Warning is hereby given that not all Project Ideas are appropriate for all individuals or in all circumstances. Implementation of any Science Project Idea should be undertaken only in appropriate settings and with appropriate parental or other supervision. Reading and following the safety precautions of all materials used in a project is the sole responsibility of each individual. For further information, consult your state’s handbook of Science Safety.