All necessary materials are readily available.
Project Time Frame
This project explores new uses for an old lighthouse.
The goals of this project are:
- To develop a modern interior lighthouse design.
- To further encourage lighthouse preservation and restoration.
- Computer with internet access
- Color printer
- Digital camera
- Measuring device
- Typical office/craft/hobby supplies (paper, pens & poster-board, wood, glue, etc.)
All materials can be found in your home, at local stores, or on ebay.
Although modern technology has rendered them obsolete, old lighthouses have a quaint, historic charm that has led to many attempts at preserving them.These once-so-powerful, beaming towers have become a much romanticized symbol of safety and renewed hope.Greatly admired for their architectural beauty and picturesque surroundings, visiting and photographing lighthouses is a popular hobby all over the world.Some private and public organizations pay large sums of money to have lighthouses moved onto their properties.If you had a lighthouse, how would you design such a tall, narrow space?
- What’s the best use for the interior space of an antique lighthouse?
- How can this space be designed for maximum comfort and convenience?
- What are some of the principles that govern the design of such a space?
Terms and Concepts to Start Background Research
- Research related materials (see bibliography below)
- Search and print out images of lighthouses that interest you.Notice interior space.
- If possible, visit real lighthouses, and examine their interior spaces.
- Measure these spaces.
- Take many photos.
- Sketch several original interior designs for an existing space.
- Indicate structural details, architectural features, and placement of items.
- Carefully indicate all measurements when drawing up your plan.
- Build a model that illustrates your idea.
- Clearly describe your methods, materials, and estimated cost in a detailed report.
- Include your model and sketches in your science fair display.
- Show interesting photos taken throughout the course of the project.
Wiki topic: “Lighthouse” and “Interior Design.”
http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/lighthouse/ (thousand of lighthouses all around the world)
Internet searches of your own choosing:Search for any of the terms listed above (or make up your own phrases to search), and click on any results that interest you.Have fun surfing the net!