Do you like your drinks hot or cold? Most people wouldn't like to sip down a warm soda, but milk another story. Sometimes a warm glass of milk can make the perfect pre-bedtime treat. On the other hand, cool milk makes a yummy pairing with a chocolate chip cookie. Do you know which you prefer? Everyone has different tastes. In this project, you'll figure out which type of milk your volunteers like best!
Do people prefer their milk cold or warm?
- 10 cups
- 5 volunteers
- Leave milk in the fridge overnight.
- Pour the milk into 5 cups.
- Put each cup in the microwave for 1 minute.
- Pour the milk into the last 5 cups.
- Observe the warm and cold milk. Which do you think your volunteers will enjoy most? Write down your guess, often called a hypothesis, in your notebook.
- Ask each volunteer to drink 1 cold cup of milk and 1 warm cup of milk.
- Record which cup each volunteer preferred.
- Look at your data. Were the results what you expected?
You may not find a conclusive result. Overall, people usually seem to prefer warm milk, but the weather can make a big difference. If it's hot outside, you should find that most volunteers chose the cold milk as their favorite.
Research has shown that a nice warm glass of milk releases chemicals in your brain that give off a soothing effect. It relaxes people and calms their mind and body. Cold milk, however, gives off an energetic, refreshed feeling. Everyone’s taste buds are different, which may skew the results of the experiment. Warm milk also gives a creamier feeling in your mouth, which some people may not enjoy, or enjoy even more. What if we added something to the milk? Like sugar or salt? Change it up and look for different experiments to try out!