Does Music Affect Your Mood?
Different types of music seem to have an effect on the mood of people. The purpose of this study is to see if there is a measurable effect on people when they are exposed to different types of music, including heart rate and self-expressed mood.
Does music affect your mood?
- Music of several different genres: classical, heavy metal, classic rock, alternative, rap, etc.
- People of different ages and genders
- Stop watch to measure heart rate
- Set of questions about mood to ask each person
- Find participants in several different age and gender categories.
- Ask them to sit in a quiet room and listen to several types of music, asking questions about how they are feeling after each song.
- Immediately after each song, take the resting heart rate of the participant, using a stop watch.
- Record the results and see if any pattern emerges for each type of song.
Warning is hereby given that not all Project Ideas are appropriate for all individuals or in all circumstances. Implementation of any Science Project Idea should be undertaken only in appropriate settings and with appropriate parental or other supervision. Reading and following the safety precautions of all materials used in a project is the sole responsibility of each individual. For further information, consult your state’s handbook of Science Safety.