The Photosynthesis Process and the Importance of Leaves
Difficulty of Project
$15-20 per student
Easy; materials can be easily obtained
Approximate Time Required to Complete the Project (Including analysis and write-up)
What is the project about?
What are the goals?
Materials and Equipment / Ingredients
What materials are required?
- 2 small indoor potted plants (must be same size and species; the Ficus Benjamin tree is recommended for this experiment)
- Petroleum jelly (small jar)
- Area with sunlight
Where can the materials be found?
- What is the basic process of photosynthesis?
- What is the role of a leaf in the process of photosynthesis?
- Describe the following: independent variable, dependent variable, constant variable, and control.
Terms, Concepts and Questions to Start Background Research
For the parent/student, what terms and concepts are required to better understand the project?
- First choose one plant to be the control plant, and with the marker write 'Control' on the pot container. Put this plant aside.
- Then cover all of the leaves of the other plant with a layer of petroleum jelly. The top and underside of the leaves should be completely covered.
- Water both plants with the same appropriate amount of water, and place next to each other in a bright, sunny area.
- Monitor both plants for several weeks, recording the status of each plant every few days (color of leaves, new leaf growth, etc).
- Don't forget to water the plants as appropriate; be sure to provide equal care to each plant.
Bibliography / References to related books / Links to related sites on the web
Warning is hereby given that not all Project Ideas are appropriate for all individuals or in all circumstances. Implementation of any Science Project Idea should be undertaken only in appropriate settings and with appropriate parental or other supervision. Reading and following the safety precautions of all materials used in a project is the sole responsibility of each individual. For further information, consult your state’s handbook of Science Safety.