It's often said that physical exercise improves cognitive functioning in some way. This project involves a simple, well-controlled scientific experiment to test and identify the effect of physical exercise on rote memorization skills.
How does physical exercise affect memory?
- Computer with Internet access
- Color printer
- Digital camera
- Typical office/hobby/hardware/craft supplies (paper, poster board, glue, etc.).
- Forty volunteers
- Carefully study the related literature (see bibliography below).
- Address all of the terms and research questions mentioned here.
- Search and print out interesting images relevant to your topic.
- Prepare a single list of 40 randomly chosen words, arranged in random order.
- Find 20 volunteers who are regularly involved in a physical sport or other physical activity such as working out at the gym. This Group can be labeled Group 1.
- Find 20 other volunteers who do not normally engage in physical activities. This group can be labeled Group 2.
- Have all volunteers study the word list for 20 minutes.
- Ask each volunteer to recall as many words as possible from the list.
- Carefully record all results.
- Analyze your data.
- Explain your findings a detailed report.
- Include graphics, diagrams, lists and demonstrations in your science fair display.