You can’t always tell what mineral you’ve got by its color; lots of them look alike. How can you tell them apart?
- Set of 8 mineral samples: amethyst, azurite, calcite, lodestone, mica, rose quartz, talc, pyrite
- Streak plate
- Write “Sample” in the upper left-hand corner of the piece of paper and make a list of the name of each mineral sample below it.
- Now create another column headed “Specimen Color,” and a third column labeled “Streak Color.”
- Pick up the first mineral sample on your list, and in the Specimen Color column, write down what color it is.
- Hold the streak plate in your other hand and try to draw a line on it, pressing hard. Be careful, some samples may be harder than the streak plate, and if they are, the “streak” you’re seeing will actually be powdered streak plate! Try to rub away some of your streak. If the scratch plate is scratched underneath, what you’ve got is a scratch and not a streak.
- Write the color of the streak in the Streak Color column. If there’s no streak, write “none.”
Disclaimer and Safety Precautions
Education.com provides the Science Fair Project Ideas for informational
purposes only. Education.com does not make any guarantee or representation
regarding the Science Fair Project Ideas and is not responsible or liable for
any loss or damage, directly or indirectly, caused by your use of such
information. By accessing the Science Fair Project Ideas, you waive and
renounce any claims against Education.com that arise thereof. In addition, your
access to Education.com's website and Science Fair Project Ideas is covered by
on Education.com's liability.
Warning is hereby given that not all Project Ideas are appropriate for all
individuals or in all circumstances. Implementation of any Science Project Idea
should be undertaken only in appropriate settings and with appropriate parental
or other supervision. Reading and following the safety precautions of all
materials used in a project is the sole responsibility of each individual. For
further information, consult your state's handbook of Science Safety.