All necessary materials are readily available.
Project Time Frame
This project attempts to design the smallest possible, fully equipped, one-person living space.
The goals of this project are:
- To design a unique, eco-friendly living space.
- To further encourage advances in green architecture.
- Computer with internet access
- Color printer
- Digital camera
- Typical office/craft/hobby supplies (such as paper, pens & poster-board, wood, glue, etc.)
All materials can be found in your home, at local stores, or on ebay.
There seems to be an unspoken international competition to see who can create the smallest living space.Ikea has some walk-through demo spaces that are ingenious in their layout.One guy (see link below) fits all the random knick-knacks and useless kitsch he’s obsessively collected through the years, in his immaculately tidy, 178-square-foot Brooklyn studio apartment.Can you beat that?
- What’s the optimal interior design for less than 200 square feet of living space?
- What are the best colors to use?
- What are some of the principles that govern the design of such a space?
Terms and Concepts to Start Background Research
Interior design Layout Merchandising
- Research related materials (see bibliography below)
- Visit an IKEA near you and examine their small living space designs.
- Sketch several original designs for the interior of a very small apartment.
- Indicate structural details, architectural features, and placement of items.
- Carefully indicate all measurements when drawing up your plan.
- Build a model that illustrates your idea, or (if possible) design a real space and take photos, before and after.
- Clearly describe your methods, materials, and estimated cost in a detailed report.
- Include your model and sketches in your science fair display.
- Show interesting photos taken throughout the course of the project.
Wiki topics: “Sculpture” and “Interior Design.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/11/garden/11location.html?em (Zach’s tiny living area, expertly designed)
Internet searches of your own choosing:Search for any of the terms listed above (or make up your own phrases to search), and click on any results that interest you.Have fun surfing the net!