Read the following study guide for a concept review: Acronyms Help
Words in Context
The following exercise will help you figure out the meaning of some words from the vocabulary list by reading context clues. After you have read and understood the paragraph, explain the context clues that helped you with the meaning of the vocabulary word. Check the answer section at the end of this lesson for an explanation of the clues.
I finally took it upon myself to become more knowledgeable when it comes to using my home computer. My resolution set in when I was trying to attach a simple text file to an e-mail document and ran into a frustrating snafu. Everything froze and I thought my PC had crashed. Quickly turning to the FAQ section in my user's manual, I realized that the problem was really with my modem. That's why my e-mail wasn't going through. I called my ISP to verify my diagnosis of the problem. The customer service agent on the phone said he had to check on it, but that he would call me back ASAP. Though he said that it would only take a second, I found myself waiting for hours. Born of my own impatience, my goal to become more independently computer-savvy was born!
Insert the correct word from the vocabulary list into the following sentences.
- I love my _____ because it's as small as a bike but much faster.
- An unexpected _____ caused us to be late.
- I know it's short notice, but can you have the report to me _____?
- In my state, it's illegal to use a(n) _____ that tells you when a police car is nearby.
- When I came to the United States, I took _____ classes to learn English.
- I had to have a(n) _____ to see if I had suffered a concussion while sparring with my boxing partner.
- This neighborhood used to be full of artists until all of the _____ from Wall Street moved in.
- Many websites have a convenient _____ page, so be sure to look there before you call customer service.
- The first time I went _____ diving, I was amazed at all the underwater life I saw.
- If you look up a nonprofit organization on the Internet, the _____ most likely ends in "org."
- I bought a(n) _____ that had the entire world atlas on a single disk!
- I took a class in _____ coding so that I would know how to build a Web page.
- There was no incision involved when I had _____ surgery on my eyes, only light amplification from radiation.
- We know a couple of _____ who have a lot of money to spend; they have no children to support, and both his and her jobs are quite lucrative.
- Your _____ made me know you were in deep sleep.
- My _____ is offering a good deal now so you may want to switch and have them be your service provider.
- I think your disk may not be working due to a malfunction in _____.
- The _____ was busy putting in new phone lines in our area after the storm did so much damage.
- Out Internet connection wasn't working very well, but it turned out that all we needed to do was dust off our _____.
- When I bought my new computer, I increased the amount of _____ so that it would have enough memory to handle all these programs.
Today on Education.com
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- Coats and Car Seats: A Lethal Combination?
- Child Development Theories
- GED Math Practice Test 1
- Graduation Inspiration: Top 10 Graduation Quotes
- The Homework Debate
- First Grade Sight Words List
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Social Cognitive Theory