Logic Game Practice Set 1
For more practice on analytical reasoning or logic game, refer to:
- Logic Game Practice Problems Set 1 You are here
- Logic Game Practice Problems Set 2
- Logic Game Practice Problems Set 3
- Logic Game Practice Problems Set 4
Questions that involve analytical reasoning—better known as "logic games"—tend to inspire fear in most test takers. These games give the most trouble to test takers who haven't defined a specific method for solving these problems. The best way to attack logic games is to have a plan. When solving the problems in this set, try the following strategy:
- Know the rules of the logic game and what each rule means.
- Draw up an easy-to-reference diagram that includes all of the game's information.
- Look for common elements in the rules; you can combine these to make deductions.
- Read the questions carefully; be sure you know what is being asked before you try to answer the question.
Now, try solving the logic games in this set.
Answer questions 1 through 10 on the basis of the information below.
The government of an island nation is in the process of deciding how to spend its limited income. It has $7 million left in its budget and eight programs to choose among. There is no provision in the constitution to have a surplus, and each program has requested the minimum amount they need; in other words, no program may be partially funded. The programs and their funding requests are:
- Hurricane preparedness: $2.5 million
- Harbor improvements: $1 million
- School music program: $0.5 million
- Senate office building remodeling: $1.5 million
- Agricultural subsidy program: $2 million
- National radio: $0.5 million
- Small business loan program: $3 million
- International airport: $4 million
- If the legislature decides to fund the agricultural subsidy program, national radio, and the small business loan program, the only other single program that can be funded is
- hurricane preparedness.
- harbor improvements.
- school music program.
- senate office building remodeling.
- international airport.
- If the legislature decides to fund the agricultural subsidy program, national radio, and the small business loan program, what two other programs could they fund?
- harbor improvements and international airport
- harbor improvements and school music program
- hurricane preparedness and school music program
- hurricane preparedness and international airport
- harbor improvements and hurricane preparedness
- Senators from urban areas are very concerned about assuring that there will be funding for a new international airport. Senators from rural areas refuse to fund anything until money for agricultural subsidies is appropriated. If the legislature funds these two programs, on which of the following could they spend the rest of the money?
- the school music program and national radio
- hurricane preparedness
- harbor improvements and the school music program
- small business loan program
- national radio and senate office building remodeling
Answer questions 417 through 418 on the basis of the information below.
A weekly television show routinely stars six actors, J, K, L, M, N, and O. Since the show has been on the air for a long time, some of the actors are good friends and some do not get along at all. In an effort to keep peace, the director sees to it that friends work together and enemies do not. Also, as the actors have become more popular, some of them need time off to do other projects. To keep the schedule working, the director has a few things she must be aware of:
- J will only work on episodes on which M is working.
- N will not work with K under any circumstances.
- M can only work every other week, in order to be free to film a movie
- At least three of the actors must appear in every weekly episode.
- In a show about L getting a job at the same company J already works for and K used to work for, all three actors will appear. Which of the following is true about the other actors who may appear?
- M, N, and O must all appear.
- M may appear and N must appear.
- M must appear and O may appear.
- O may appear and N may appear.
- Only O may appear.
- Next week, the show involves N's new car and O's new refrigerator. Which of the following is true about the other actors who may appear?
- M, J, L, and K all may appear.
- J, L, and K must appear.
- Only K may appear.
- Only L may appear.
- L and K must appear.
Answer questions 419 through 421 on the basis of the information below.
A cinema complex with six movie theaters never shows the same movie in more than one theater. None of the theaters is the same size as any other, with number 1 being the largest and going in order to number 6, the smallest. The theater also has the following rules:
- It will never show more than two R-rated movies at once.
- It will always show at least one G-rated movie and one PG-rated movie in the two middle-sized theaters (theaters 3 and 4).
- It will never show more than one foreign film at a time and never in the biggest theater.
- The starting times of movies will be staggered by fifteen minutes and will always be on the quarter hour.
- Employees need twenty minutes between showings to clean the theaters.
The cinema has the following films to choose from this particular week:
Shout, rated R
Que Pasa, a Spanish film rated PG
Abra Cadabra, rated G
Lessons, rated R
Jealousy, rated PG
Mist, a Swedish film rated R
Trek, rated NC-17
Fly, rated G
- Which one of the following is an acceptable listing of films to show this week?
- Shout, Mist, Trek, Que Pasa, Fly, and Jealousy
- Shout, Mist, Trek, Fly, Jealousy, and Abra Cadabra
- Que Pasa, Lessons, Mist, Shout, Abra Cadabra, and Trek
- Shout, Lessons, Mist, Trek, Fly, and Jealousy
- Shout, Fly, Trek, Lessons, Abra Cadabra, And Mist
- If Shout starts at 8:30, Mist at 8:15, Trek at 8:00, Fly at 7:45, Jealousy at 7:30, and Abra Cadabra at 7:15, and each movie is exactly two hours long, at what time will the next showing of Trek start?
- The movies this week are showing in the following theaters:
- theater 1
- theater 2
- theater 3
- theater 4
- theater 5
Theater 1: Shout
Theater 2: Trek
Theater 3: Abra Cadabra
Theater 4: Jealousy
Theater 5: Fly
Theater 6: Mist
Shout is doing the most business, followed by Trek and, to the management's surprise, Mist. The management wants to move Mist to a larger theater. Which theater is the most logical?
Answer questions 422 through 423 on the basis of the information below.
The six top songs (not in order) of 1968 were:
"People Got to Be Free" by The Rascals
"Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay" by Otis Redding
"Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro
"Sunshine of Your Love" by Cream
"Love Is Blue" by Paul Mauriat & His Orchestra
"Hey Jude" by The Beatles
Here are some rules about the order of the songs:
- The Beatles and Cream do not appear next to each other on the list.
- The number 1 song is not "Love Is Blue."
- The songs by individual artists are numbers 3 and 4.
- The Rascals appear right before Cream and right after Otis Redding.
- Which of the following is true?
- Song #3 is "Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro.
- Song #6 is "Hey Jude" by the Beatles.
- Song #1 is "Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay" by Otis Redding.
- Song #1 is "Sunshine of Your Love" by Cream.
- Song #3 is "Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay" by Otis Redding.
- Which of the following is the correct order of songs?
- "Honey, " "Love Is Blue, " "People Got to Be Free, " "Sunshine of Your Love, " "Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay, " "Hey Jude"
- "Love Is Blue, " "Hey Jude, " "Honey, " "Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay, " "People Got to Be Free, " "Sunshine of Your Love"
- "Sunshine of Your Love, " "People Got to Be Free, " "Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay, " "Honey, " "Love Is Blue, " "Hey Jude"
- "Hey Jude, " "Love Is Blue, " "Honey, " "Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay, " "People Got to Be Free, " "Sunshine of Your Love"
- "Honey, " "Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay, " "Hey Jude, " "Sunshine of Your Love, " "People Got to Be Free, " "Love Is Blue"
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- First Grade Sight Words List
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Child Development Theories
- Grammar Lesson: Complete and Simple Predicates
- Definitions of Social Studies
- Social Cognitive Theory
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- Theories of Learning