Ancient China and India Practice Test
Review the following study guides if necessary:
1. The earliest Chinese civilizations developed _____________.
A. in the mountains
B. along the coast of the Yellow Sea
C. in the eastern river valleys
D. on the large islands off the east coast
2. Government under the Shang dynasty is best described as ______________.
A. a military dictatorship
B. a group of independent, self-governing city-states
C. a tribal society with a chief and a council of elders
D. a feudal system in which the lords were loyal to the emperor
3. The Aryan peoples who invaded and settled in India originally came from ______________.
B. Eastern Europe
C. the Mediterranean islands
D. North Africa
4. The four sets of hymns and religious rituals that form the basis of ancient Indian religion are known as _____________.
A. the Tao Te Ching
B. the Upanishads
C. the Vedas
D. the Buddha
5. All these concepts are of central importance to Hinduism except _____________.
A. the caste system
B. the cycle of reincarnation and rebirth
C. the concept of sacrifice
D. the attempt to control one’s passions
6. Which best describes the relationship between the ancient civilizations of China and the Mediterranean?
A. Their leaders agreed to maintain peace between their peoples.
B. They had no knowledge of one another’s existence.
C. Their merchants did a brisk business in international trade.
D. They were constantly at war with one another.
7. Siddhartha Gautama is an important historical figure because he _____________.
A. was the first king of the Shang dynasty in China
B. led the Aryan invaders into India
C. founded the religion that became known as Buddhism
D. argued against the Legalist side of debate over Chinese rule
8. ______________ were ethnically related to the Aryans.
A. The Egyptians
B. The Chinese
C. The Persians
D. The Indians
9. Which best explains why historians believe the texts of the Vedas are very little changed from the originals?
A. It would have been very important to use the exact, correct wording of religious ceremonies and hymns.
B. The original texts of the Vedas date back to the Harappan civilization.
C. India seems to have been an illiterate civilization under the Indo-Aryans until about 400 BC.
D. The Vedas are almost the earliest written work that has survived from ancient India.
10. According to the Indo-Aryan caste system, ________________.
A. a person is born into a caste and cannot rise to a higher one
B. a person can marry into a higher caste
C. a person can rise to a higher caste through extraordinary service to the kingdom
D. a person can choose which caste to join, but then cannot go back on the choice
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- First Grade Sight Words List
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- Theories of Learning
- A Teacher's Guide to Differentiating Instruction
- Child Development Theories
- Social Cognitive Theory
- Curriculum Definition
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development