Early Civilization Practice Test
Review the following study guides if necessary:
- Early Civilization
- The First Human Civilizations
- Mesopotamia - The Sumerian Culture
- The Babylonian Empire
- The Old and Middle Kingdoms of Egypt
- The Indus Valley
1. Amenhotep IV instituted a major change in Egyptian society when he __________________ .
A. extended the Egyptian Empire into Syria and Palestine
B. outlawed worship of all Egyptian gods except Aton
C. built new temples to the gods
D. created a powerful class of priests
2. Around 1200 BC, which two empires agreed to a nonaggression pact that would allow them both to remain strong without fear of mutual attack?
A. the Egyptians and the Hittites
B. the Hittites and the Assyrians
C. the Assyrians and the Babylonians
D. the Babylonians and the Egyptians
3. At the height of their civilization, the Hittites were prosperous for all these reasons except ________________ .
A. they worked with iron before other cultures had this technology
B. they controlled major Mediterranean trade routes
C. they made the proper sacrifices to the gods
D. the area where they settled was rich in mineral resources
4. Assyrian emperor Sargon II is a notable fi gure in history for ________________ .
A. the manner in which he organized the professional army
B. collecting a vast library of early Mesopotamian literature and documents
C. declaring that he was the supreme deity’s representative on earth
D. presiding over the fall of the once-mighty Assyrian Empire
5. One of the major factors in the fall of the Assyrian Empire was the rebellion of ________________ .
A. the Chaldeans
B. the Medes
C. the Sea Peoples
D. the Egyptians
6. _________________ is the most likely cause for the buildup of the Assyrian army into the greatest one in the region.
A. Geographic vulnerability
B. Economic poverty
C. Religious fervor
D. A series of strong rulers
7. The Bronze Age gave way to the Iron Age around what date?
A. 2000 BC
B. 1500 BC
C. 1200 BC
D. 500 BC
8. The center of the Hittite Empire was the present-day nation of _______________.
9. What was the result of the twelfth-century battle between the Hittites and Egyptians at Syria?
A. The Hittites conquered the Egyptians.
B. The Egyptians conquered the Hittites.
C. The Egyptians and the Hittites agreed to rule side by side in peace.
D. The Hittites and the Egyptians agreed to merge their empires into one.
10. The rise to power around 500 BC of _________________ marked the end of the fi rst era of Fertile Crescent civilizations.
A. the Medes
B. the Chaldeans
C. the Persians
D. the Sea Peoples
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- First Grade Sight Words List
- Child Development Theories
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Social Cognitive Theory
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- Theories of Learning
- A Teacher's Guide to Differentiating Instruction
- Definitions of Social Studies