Europe - From Byzantine Empire to AD 1000 Practice Test
Review the following study guides if necessary:
- Europe - From Byzantine Empire to AD 1000
- The Byzantine Empire
- Rise of the Slavic Peoples in the East
- The Merovingian and Carolingian Dynasty
- The Foundation of the Holy Roman Empire
1. All these cultures had tremendous influence on the development of the Byzantine Empire except ______________.
2. The Slavs of southeastern Europe have been connected since the turn of the first millennium in all these ways except _______________ .
3. The Merovingians exercised their greatest degree of authority in which section of France?
A. the northwest
B. the southwest
C. the southeast
D. the northeast
4. Expansion of the Byzantine Empire under Justinian halted for all these reasons except ________________.
A. the imperial treasury had become all but bankrupt
B. the churches refused to provide any funding for the army
C. military threats from the Slavs and Persians
D. a series of outbreaks of the bubonic plague
5. Which early Slavic kingdom was absorbed into the Holy Roman Empire?
C. Kievan Rus
6. Gregory of Tours is historically important because of his contributions in the field of _____________ .
7. The Byzantines claimed that the major purpose of their empire was _____________.
A. to unite all Europeans under one government
B. to exist as the ideal Christian society on earth
C. to restore the Roman Empire to its former glory
D. to overthrow the Roman Church in the West
8. Why is it ironic that the French and Germans were enemies for so many centuries?
A. because they are descended from the same barbarian tribe
B. because they are both Christian nations
C. because they were both once part of the Roman Empire
D. because they are geographical neighbors
9. The ____________ culture became numerically and culturally dominant in the Balkan region of southeastern Europe.
10. The Carolingian Renaissance refers to a period of rediscovery of _______________.
A. Classical artistic styles
B. Roman military strategy
C. Greek philosophy
D. Christian theology
Add your own comment
Today on Education.com
SUMMER LEARNINGJune Workbooks Are Here!
TECHNOLOGYAre Cell Phones Dangerous for Kids?
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- The Five Warning Signs of Asperger's Syndrome
- First Grade Sight Words List
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Graduation Inspiration: Top 10 Graduation Quotes
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Child Development Theories
- Should Your Child Be Held Back a Grade? Know Your Rights
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- Smart Parenting During and After Divorce: Introducing Your Child to Your New Partner