Ancient Greek Civilization and Macedonian Empire Practice Test
Review the following study guides if necessary:
- Ancient Greek Civilization and Macedonian Empire
- The Greek Civilization
- Golden Age of Greece
- The Macedonian Empire
1. The Peloponnesian War was fought between ____________.
A. Athens and Sparta
B. Sparta and Macedonia
C. Macedonia and Persia
D. Persia and Greece
2. Trade was important to the Minoan civilization because Crete lacked ________________.
A. good harbors
B. arable land
C. skilled artisans
D. metal deposits
3. The most important difference between Mycenaeans and Minoans was that the Mycenaeans were more _____________.
C. politically conservative
4. All of the following were major Athenian playwrights except _____________.
5. The Greeks believed that human beings could understand the workings of the universe by _____________.
A. collecting data and drawing conclusions from it
B. drawing conclusions based on abstract thought
C. studying the great authors of the past
D. using one’s common sense
6. The polis of Sparta is most famous in history for its __________________ .
A. military might
B. economic wealth
C. cultural brilliance
D. literary achievements
7. At its height, the Macedonian Empire absorbed all of the following except ______________.
8. Alexander the Great is a significant historical figure because he ______________.
A. wrote classic works of philosophy that have influenced scholars down to the present day
B. presided over a great flowering of architectural, artistic, and cultural achievement
C. spread Greek culture and the Greek language throughout the known world
D. wrote two of the greatest epic poems in the history of literature
9. _______________ invaded, conquered, and looted the city of Troy.
A. Philip II of Macedon
C. The Spartans
D. The Mycenaeans
10. The three Hellenistic kingdoms that succeeded the Macedonian Empire were eventually conquered by ____________.
A. the Athenians
B. the Spartans
C. the Persians
D. the Romans