The Ancient Middle East Practice Test
Review the following study guides if necessary:
1. The Hebrews’ major contribution to world history was _______________ .
A. the alphabet
B. monotheistic religion
C. a barter economy
D. the invention of writing
2. The Phoenicians were most famous as _______________ .
3. The Persians originally came from the area that we call ________________ today.
4. What was the most important factor in the Greek victory in the Persian Wars?
A. The Greeks had established footholds throughout the Mediterranean.
B. The Greek city-states were a civilization rather than an empire.
C. The Persians were better sailors than the Greeks.
D. The Greek city-states united their troops against the enemy.
5. _________________ conquered the Persian Empire and thus brought its supremacy to an end.
A. Cyrus the Great
B. Alexander the Great
C. King David
6. The ancient land of Canaan is located closest to present-day _______________ .
7. All of these were inherent weaknesses in the Persian Empire except __________________.
A. ethnic diversity
B. vast physical size
C. linguistic unity
D. autocratic government
8. All these writing systems are adaptations of the Phoenician alphabet except ________________ .
9. Which aspect of the Greek civilization made it a threat to the Phoenicians?
A. scientific discoveries
B. religious beliefs
C. military might
D. geographical expansion
10. At its height, the Phoenician civilization maintained colonies or outposts in all of the following places except _________________ .
Add your own comment
Today on Education.com
WORKBOOKSMay Workbooks are Here!
WE'VE GOT A GREAT ROUND-UP OF ACTIVITIES PERFECT FOR LONG WEEKENDS, STAYCATIONS, VACATIONS ... OR JUST SOME GOOD OLD-FASHIONED FUN!Get Outside! 10 Playful Activities
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- The Five Warning Signs of Asperger's Syndrome
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Child Development Theories
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Test Problems: Seven Reasons Why Standardized Tests Are Not Working
- Bullying in Schools
- A Teacher's Guide to Differentiating Instruction
- Steps in the IEP Process