The Rise of Islam and African Civilization to AD 1000 Practice Test
Review the following study guides if necessary:
- The Rise of Islam and African Civilization to AD 1000
- The Birth of the Islamic Empire
- The Umayyad Dynasty
- The Abbasid Dynasty
- India During the Classical Period
- African Civilization
1. ____________________ was in a favorable trading position because it had large deposits of gold.
A. The Arabian Peninsula
2. Which correctly describes the authorship of the Quran, according to Islam?
A. Muhammad is the author of the Quran.
B. Scholars wrote the Quran after Muhammad’s death.
C. The Quran represents the word of Allah as revealed to Muhammad.
D. The Quran has no known author.
3. The Islamic Empire that arose toward the end of the first millennium converted large numbers of people in all these areas except __________________.
C. North Africa
4. The Rajputs were descended from ____________________.
A. the ancient peoples of the Indus Valley
B. the nomadic warriors of the steppes of Central Asia
C. the Macedonians
D. the ancient Greeks
5. The Five Pillars of Islam include all of these except __________________.
6. In what way is Islam unlike Christianity?
A. Islam does not call for worship of the same God.
B. Islam is not a missionary religion.
C. Muslims do not believe in the divinity of Jesus.
D. Islam does not have scriptures believed to represent the word of God.
7. Which best describes government in the Indian kingdoms after the fall of the Guptas?
A. a feudal system based on an exchange of favors between the lord and the vassals
B. an autocracy ruled by a succession of hereditary dynasties
C. a centrally controlled, politically unified state with a large bureaucracy
D. a representative government that insisted on popular consensus
8. The African civilization of Axum eventually became present-day ________________.
A. Saudi Arabia
9. One major cause of the civil war and factionalism that characterized the caliphate after Muhammad’s death was ________________ .
A. the Islamic emphasis on conversion of non-Muslims
B. the political unifi cation of the Arabian Peninsula
C. the lack of a definitive written version of the Quran
D. Muhammad’s failure to name his successor
10. The Pala dynasty was characterized by _________________ .
A. its military prowess
B. its devout Buddhism
C. its suspension of the caste system
D. its brevity
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- First Grade Sight Words List
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Definitions of Social Studies
- Grammar Lesson: Complete and Simple Predicates
- Child Development Theories
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- How to Practice Preschool Letter and Name Writing
- Social Cognitive Theory
- Theories of Learning