Rise of the Turks Practice Test
Review the following study guides if necessary:
- The Rise of the Turks
- The Turks in Persia and Egypt
- History of the Crusades
- The Turks in India
- The Turks in Byzantium
1. Participants on both sides described the Crusades as _______________.
A. attempts to expand an empire
B. wars of political aggression
C. defensive territorial wars
D. holy wars against the heathens
2. The Arabians’ ________________was their most important and lasting contribution to the history of the Near East.
C. artistic style
D. political structure
3. What finally enabled the Ottoman Turks to take Constantinople in 1453?
A. political weakness in Byzantium
B. the development of artillery
C. military reinforcements from the West
D. a strong power base in Egypt
4. As a result of the First Crusade, the Europeans temporarily established Christian kingdoms in all these present-day states except _____________.
5. The Ayyubid conquest of Egypt in 1171 restored ________________ authority there.
C. Shiite Muslim
D. Sunni Muslim
6. One probable reason for the Indian acceptance of the Afghani sultanate that ruled from 1211 to 1398 was ___________________.
A. the ethnic relationship between the Afghani Turks and the ancient Indians
B. the Afghani Turks’ willingness to convert to Hinduism
C. the Turks’ decision to dismantle the caste system
D. the Turks’ military successes in the Near East
7. _______________ is historically important as the founder of the Ayyubid dynasty.
8. All these except ________________ are probable motives for Western European knights and vassals to join the Crusades.
A. desire to earn forgiveness of their sins
B. obedience to the commands of their lords
C. greed for valuable prizes and plunder
D. desire to emigrate permanently to the Near East
9. _________________ ensured that the ancient Turkish tribes of the steppes would establish a migratory herder culture.
A. The physical environment
B. Military threats from outside
C. Religious imperative
D. Scientific discoveries
10. As a result of conquest, Turkish culture began to replace _______________ culture in the eastern Mediterranean after about 1450.
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- First Grade Sight Words List
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Definitions of Social Studies
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- Curriculum Definition
- Theories of Learning
- Child Development Theories
- A Teacher's Guide to Differentiating Instruction
- 8 Things First-Year Students Fear About College