Constellations of the Southern Spring Help
Constellations of the Southern Spring—Pisces and Aries
Pisces And Aries
In the north you will see Pisces , the two fish. In the north-northeastern sky is Aries , the winged ram (Fig. 3-25). The fish of Pisces are, according to mythology, joined at their tails, and Aries has fleece of gold.
High in the northeastern sky is Cetus , the whale or sea monster (Fig. 3-26). The variable star Mira is sometimes visible in this constellation. The star Tau Ceti is thought to be a candidate for having a solar system similar to ours and possibly an earthlike planet.
Pegasus And Andromeda
Low in the north-northwestern sky is Pegasus , the winged horse. Near the northern horizon, Andromeda , representing a princess, rides the horse alongside the Milky Way (Fig. 3-27). Andromeda contains a spiral galaxy similar to our own galaxy, but it is 2,200,000 light-years away, about 20 times the diameter of the Milky Way’s spiral disk. The Great Nebula in Andromeda , as it was originally called, is too near the horizon, as viewed from the southern temperate latitudes, to present itself well to casual observers.
High in the northwest sky, you will see Aquarius , the water bearer (Fig. 3-28). Aquarius supposedly brings love and peace. In ancient mythology, this constellation was seen as a person pouring water from a jug.
Piscis Austrinus And Grus
High in the western sky, nearly at the zenith, is Piscis Austrinus , also called Piscis Australis . This is the southern fish and contains the bright star Formalhaut (Fig. 3-29). Immediately to the south of it is Grus , the crane.
Add your own comment
Today on Education.com
SUMMER LEARNINGJune Workbooks Are Here!
TECHNOLOGYAre Cell Phones Dangerous for Kids?
Local SAT & ACT Classes
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- The Five Warning Signs of Asperger's Syndrome
- First Grade Sight Words List
- Graduation Inspiration: Top 10 Graduation Quotes
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Child Development Theories
- Should Your Child Be Held Back a Grade? Know Your Rights
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- Smart Parenting During and After Divorce: Introducing Your Child to Your New Partner