Avoiding Faulty Sentences: Writing Skills Success Practice Exercises
Review the lesson for Avoiding Faulty Sentences: Writing Skills Success Study Guide.
Practice Exercise: Fragments and Run - Ons
Choose the complete sentence. Watch for fragments as well as run-ons. Answers are at the end of the lesson.
- The puppy chewed on everything. And ruined my favorite shoes.
- The puppy chewed on everything and ruined my favorite shoes.
- Julie is a loyal friend. She helps whenever she is needed.
- Julie is a loyal friend she helps whenever she is needed.
- Paula bought a new car in February she picked it up only last week.
- Paula bought a new car in February. She picked it up only last week.
- Lisa lost five pounds. After only one week on the new diet.
- Lisa lost five pounds after only one week on the new diet.
- You can register for the class in the office on the second floor.
- You can register for the class. In the office on the second floor.
- Samantha needs a few more days to finish the report it is more involved than she anticipated.
- Samantha needs a few more days to finish the report. It is more involved than she anticipated.
- My sister's new friend Lisa came for dinner. And she brought her mom's famous chocolate cream pie for dessert.
- My sister's new friend Lisa came for dinner, and she brought her mom's famous chocolate cream pie for dessert.
- Tanya completed the form she gave it to the receptionist.
- Tanya completed the form, and she gave it to the receptionist.
- Louis was eager to see the dentist his toothache was getting worse.
- Louis was eager to see the dentist. His toothache was getting worse.
- Jenny looked for a bank that offered better interest rates.
- Jenny looked for a bank. Offered better interest rates.
Practice Exercise: Complete Sentences, Fragments, Run-Ons, and Comma Splices
In each of the following numbered items, decide whether the group of words is a correctly written sentence or sentences (S), a fragment (F), a run-on sentence (ROS), or a comma splice (CS). Write the label next to each number, and then check your work against the answer key.
- Dr. Anders left detailed care instructions for the patient. A personal friend of his.
- The night before, someone from Publisher's Clearinghouse had called. To tell me that I would be receiving a prize package worth potentially millions of dollars.
- I was so excited because unlike the other offers, this really sounded legitimate, it sounded to me as though I might really win something this tim
- 14. I hastily opened the mailbox. Hoping to find the promised envelope.
- There it was. The promised letter.
- Because I couldn't wait to open it to read its contents.
- The officer responded to the call, he received it at 8:10 P.M.
- Emily posted the last transaction it was time to close the books for the day.
- Our new computer system is still not working properly.
- Even though a computer repair man had looked at the system and deemed it in proper working order.
Rewrite the fragments, run-ons, and comma splices as complete sentences in the following space.
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- First Grade Sight Words List
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- Theories of Learning
- A Teacher's Guide to Differentiating Instruction
- Child Development Theories
- Social Cognitive Theory
- Curriculum Definition
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development