Photosynthesis and Respiration Practice Questions
Review these concepts at: Biochemistry: Photosynthesis and Respiration Study Guide
1. We now know that van Helmont reached the wrong conclusion in his experiment. Which of the following statements more accurately describes what occurred?
a. The tree gained mass only by absorbing lots of water.
b. The tree gained mass by absorbing carbon dioxide and water.
c. The tree gained mass by absorbing some of the soil.
d. The tree gained mass only by absorbing sunlight.
2. Which of the following is NOT true of enzymes?
a. Enzymes are lipid molecules.
b. Enzymes are not consumed in a biochemical reaction.
c. Enzymes are important in photosynthesis and respiration.
d. Enzymes speed up reactions and make them more efficient.
3. Plants look green to our eyes because chlorophyll
a. absorbs green light.
b. reflects red light.
c. absorbs blue light.
d. reflects green light.
4. Photosynthesis is the metabolic opposite of which of these processes?
a. enzymatic hydrolysis
b. protein synthesis
5. The compound that absorbs light energy during photosynthesis is
c. chlorinated biphenyls.
6. Which of the following is the name of the sugar molecule made during photosynthesis?
1. b. The tree absorbed water, which added to its mass, but the tissues of the tree needed the carbon from carbon dioxide to grow and develop. The other answers are incomplete or simply wrong.
2. a. Enzymes are protein molecules; the other statements are true of enzymes
3. d. Because chlorophyll strongly absorbs red and blue light, the light in the green portion of the spectrum is reflected back to our eyes, and the plant thus appears green.
4. c. Respiration and photosynthesis are opposite metabolic reactions.
5. d. chlorophyll
6. c. glucose
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- First Grade Sight Words List
- Child Development Theories
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Social Cognitive Theory
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- Theories of Learning
- Definitions of Social Studies
- A Teacher's Guide to Differentiating Instruction