Vectors Practice Problems for AP Physics B & C
Review the following concepts if necessary:
- A canoe is paddled due north across a lake at 2.0 m/s relative to still water. The current in the lake flows toward the east; its speed is 0.5 m/s. Which of the following vectors best represents the velocity of the canoe relative to shore?
- Force vector A has magnitude 27.0 N and is direction 74° from the vertical, as shown above. Which of the following are the horizontal and vertical components of vector A?
- Which of the following is a scalar quantity?
1. B - To solve, add the northward 2.0 m/s velocity vector to the eastward 0.5 m/s vector. These vectors are at right angles to one another, so the magnitude of the resultant is given by the Pythagorean theorem. You don't have a calculator on the multiple choice section, though, so you'll have to be clever. There's only one answer that makes sense! The hypothenuse of a right triangle has to be bigger than either leg, but less than the algebraic sum of the legs. Only B, 2.1 m/s, meets this criterion.
2. A - Again, with no calcultor, you cannot just plug into the calculator (though if you could, careful: the horizontal component of A is 27.0 N cos 16º is the angle from the horizontal.) Answer B and E are wrong because the vertical component is bigger than the horizontal component, which doesn't make any sense based on the diagram. Choice C is wrong because the horizontal component is bigger than the magnitude of vector itself - ridiculous! Same problem with choice D, where the horizontal component is equal to the magnitude of the vector. Answer must be A.
3. D - A scalar has no direction. All forces have direction, including weight (which is the force of gravity). Mass is just a measure of how much stuff is contained in an object, and thus has no direction.
Add your own comment
Today on Education.com
SUMMER LEARNINGJune Workbooks Are Here!
TECHNOLOGYAre Cell Phones Dangerous for Kids?
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- The Five Warning Signs of Asperger's Syndrome
- First Grade Sight Words List
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Graduation Inspiration: Top 10 Graduation Quotes
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Child Development Theories
- Should Your Child Be Held Back a Grade? Know Your Rights
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- Smart Parenting During and After Divorce: Introducing Your Child to Your New Partner