Building Better Sentences Practice
The study guide for these practice exercises can be found at: Building Better Sentences Help
Building Better Sentences Practice
Written Practice 1
Balance each of the following sentences.
- The coffee here is delicious, hot, and it's also inexpensive.
- The lawyer asked his client to tell the truth and if he could provide evidence.
- The rain splashes on the roof and always is soaking the porch.
- Soda is filling, full of calories, and eventually it's fattening.
- My cooking skills are new, limited to simple dishes, and I think sometimes my choices are boring.
- Teaching physicians have several jobs, including doing research, reducing pain and suffering, and they teach other physicians.
- Their decision was to expand the space, buy all new equipment, and then they would install a new security system.
- Add the dry ingredients, the eggs should be whipped, and preheat the oven.
- Whoever leaves the house last should lower the heat, turning off the lights, and check the stove.
- David played classical guitar, jazz guitar, and then he tried rhythm and blues.
Written Practice 2
Balance the following sentences.
- Every day, I walk the trails with my dog, cleaning the car, and go to work.
- Jim loves painting the house, planting shrubs, and he loves to plan to add another room.
- Elias looked for a toy, grabbed it, and he was throwing it across the room.
- My friend eats dinner first, lunch second, and then he is eating breakfast last.
- Spring is warm, flower-filled, and it rains a lot.
- At the Center, Betsy did the accounting, made sure the preschoolers were safe, and then she also would take care of her own household as well.
- My new printer is quieter, faster, and prints with higher resolution.
- I'll know my son's work habits are improving when he arrives at school on time, corrects his own homework, and staying out of fights.
- The chairman thanked everyone for their dedication, loyalty, and because they attended every meeting.
- The only way we can leave on time is if I prepare the snacks, you fill up the gas tank, and if the children will get up on time.
Written Practice 3
The following sentences lack balance. Find and correct the errors to restore balance.
- The longtime employee was not only energetic and liked to be punctual also.
- We insisted that our son write his application truthfully and he should show some humility.
- My two-year-old not only likes to walk in the puddles and is always jumping in the leaves.
- Your new outfit is neither colorful and it isn't well fitting either.
- This summer I will either plant a bed of flowers, or maybe I'll build a deck.
- Debbie is neither prepared for parenthood nor is her career willing to be sacrificed.
- Chocolate is not only delicious but it is energizing also.
- Either you take the late shift and then I'll be leaving the house before you return.
- Last summer, my vacation was not only busy but full of bad weather also.
- We'll know we've succeeded when we see the children following our family's rules and then they should do well in school, too.
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- First Grade Sight Words List
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- Definitions of Social Studies
- Curriculum Definition
- Theories of Learning
- A Teacher's Guide to Differentiating Instruction
- Child Development Theories
- 8 Things First-Year Students Fear About College