Avoiding Wordiness: Writing Skills Success Practice Exercises
Review the lesson for Avoiding Wordiness: Writing Skills Success Study Guide.
Practice Exercise: Wordiness
Try rewriting the following sentences to remove the fluffy wording. Suggested revisions are at the end of this exercise, but your versions may be different; there's more than one way to rewrite these sentences
- It gives us great pleasure to take this opportunity to announce the opening of the newly built playground at the Municipal Park in Succasunna.
- Some educators hold with the opinion that corporal punishment should in fact be reinstated in our schools to act as a deterrent to those students who are considering engaging in inappropriate behavior.
- It is certainly a true statement that bears repeating over and over again that technological advancements such as computers can assist employees in performing in a very efficient manner, and that these self-same computers may in fact result in considerable savings over a period of time.
- I arrived at a decision to allow the supervisor of my department to achieve a higher golf score in order to enhance my opportunities for advancement in the event that such opportunities became available.
Practice Exercise: Precise Language
Choose the option that expresses the idea most clearly and concisely. Answers are at the end of the lesson.
- Doubtless, the best choice we could make would reflect our association's founding principles.
- It is without a doubt that the most advantageous selection we could choose would be one that best reflects our association's principles that it has had since its origin.
- The least expensive option in a situation such as this is inevitably also the most advantageous option.
- The cheapest way is the best way.
- Too many youngsters prefer using their spare time with popular modern pastimes to improving their minds with more analytical options.
- Too many youngsters prefer using their spare time to play video games, instant message, and text message friends than to improve their minds with reading.
- The marketing department found that customers prefer the vanilla scent.
- Consumer attitude studies conducted by our marketing department seem to indicate that a large majority of our customers had good things to say about the vanilla scent.
- We are pleased to announce the opening of Succasunna's new Municipal Park playground.
- Some educators believe that unruly students should be spanked.
- Using computers can save time and money.
- I let my supervisor beat me at golf so she would promote me.
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- First Grade Sight Words List
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Grammar Lesson: Complete and Simple Predicates
- Definitions of Social Studies
- Child Development Theories
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- How to Practice Preschool Letter and Name Writing
- Social Cognitive Theory
- Theories of Learning