The Dynamic Ocean Practice Questions
Review these concepts at: The Dynamic Ocean Study Guide
1. The ocean's average mixed layer depth is about 100 meters, and the global average wind speed across the ocean is about 10 miles per hour. In a place where the wind speed is about 15 miles per hour, how deep would you expect the mixed layer to be?
a. 67 meters
b. 100 meters
c. 300 meters
d. 150 meters
2. The ocean gyres are results from which one of the following?
a. the moon
b. the earth's spin
c. the sun's gravity
d. the seafloor spreading
3. Which one of the following describes the Atlantic Ocean's gyre, in the Northern Hemisphere?
a. counterclockwise, pushed in part by easterlies to its south
b. counterclockwise, pushed in part by westerlies to its south
c. clockwise, pushed in part by easterlies to its south
d. clockwise, pushed in part by westerlies to its south
4. Flows are intensified into actual "rivers within the sea" at which edge of the ocean gyres?
5. Which one of the following countries' climate is warmed quite a bit by the Gulf Stream?
c. United States
6. The mixing of the deep ocean occurs by what means?
a. wind circulation
b. tectonic circulation
c. Coriolis circulation
d. thermohaline circulation
7. The density of the ocean's water is determined by what factors?
a. nutrients and temperature
b. pressure and nutrients
c. temperature and pressure
d. salinity and temperature
8. The densest waters on Earth are formed at the surface in the vicinity of what region?
b. the North Pacific
d. the Mediterranean
9. What fact is true about the formation of the ocean's deep water and the return flow to the surface?
a. Deep water formation is local, and the return flow is widely distributed.
b. Deep water formation is widely distributed, and the return flow is local.
c. Deep water formation is widely distributed, and the return flow is widely distributed.
d. Deep water formation is widely local, and the return flow is local.
10. The timescale for the complete mixing of the world's ocean is about how many years?
a. 100 years
b. 1,000 years
c. 10,000 years
d. 100,000 years
1.d. 150 meters
2. b. Earth's spin
3. c. clockwise, pushed in part by easterlies to its south
4. d. western
5. a. England
6. d. thermohaline circulation
7. d. salinity and temperature
8. a. Antarctica
9. a. Deep water formation is local, and the return flow is widely distributed.
10. b. 1,000 years
Today on Education.com
- Coats and Car Seats: A Lethal Combination?
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- Child Development Theories
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- The Homework Debate
- First Grade Sight Words List
- Social Cognitive Theory
- GED Math Practice Test 1