The Age of Exploration in Europe Practice Test
Review the following study guides if necessary:
- The Age of Exploration in Europe
- European Exploration to the East
- Spanish and Portuguese Exploration
- The European Impact on Latin America
- French and English Exploration
1. The term Northwest Passage refers to
A. the overland route that traders traveled between Europe and Asia.
B. Ferdinand Magellan’s voyage around the world.
C. the English Channel that separates England from France.
D. a trade route that would lead west from Europe to Asia by water.
2. ____________________ is an important historical fi gure because his voyage west initiated a major cultural exchange between Europe and the Americas.
A. Jacques Cartier
B. Christopher Columbus
C. Hernando de Soto
D. Sir Walter Raleigh
3. Which European nation was the first to establish colonies in North America?
4. Their _____________________ enabled the Dutch to supplant the Portuguese in Asian trade.
A. larger ships
B. stronger military
C. more-enlightened monarch
D. earlier success
5. Spanish explorers were initially disappointed with North America because they failed to find
A. fertile land.
D. fresh water.
6. In 1754, war broke out between the British and French over
A. control of the fur trade.
B. treatment of the Indians.
C. religious differences.
D. territorial expansion.
7. ____________________was the fi rst man to claim North American territory for England.
A. Sebastian Cabot
B. Henry Hudson
C. Sir Walter Raleigh
D. John White
8. The 1497 voyage of _________________ assured Europeans they had found not “the Indies,” but a new continent.
A. John Cabot
B. Christopher Columbus
C. Giovanni da Verrazano
D. Pedro Menendez de Áviles
9. Portugal was in an ideal position to explore the African coast because
A. it wanted to build up its colonial empire.
B. it was the most powerful nation in Europe.
C. it was geographically close to Africa.
D. it could always count on support from Spain.
10. Portugal’s most important goal on its voyages to Asia was
A. establishing trade relations.
B. annexing territory.
C. military conquest.
D. converting the Asians to Christianity.
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- First Grade Sight Words List
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- Theories of Learning
- A Teacher's Guide to Differentiating Instruction
- Child Development Theories
- Social Cognitive Theory
- Curriculum Definition
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development