Austro-Hungarian and Russian Empires Practice Test
Review the following study guides if necessary:
1. What was the major effect of the Russo-Japanese War of 1905?
A. The serfs of Russia gained their independence.
B. Russia established a port on its eastern border.
C. Russia’s expansion into China was halted.
D. Russia annexed Japan.
2. The Russian ____________________ strongly opposed Alexander I’s plan to emancipate the serfs.
B. civil service
3. What was the effect of Austria’s Toleration Edicts of 1781?
A. the suppression of nationalism within the empire
B. the establishment of universal free public education
C. government regulation of wages and worker safety in the factories
D. expanded civil rights for religious minorities
4. What was one reason for Vienna’s status as Europe’s most cosmopolitan city in the late 1700s?
A. opposition from the clergy
B. royal patronage and support of the arts
C. the excellence of the Austrian education system
D. the establishment of the General Hospital
5. France declared war on Austria in 1792 with the purpose of
A. recruiting soldiers for the Grand Army.
B. securing its alliance against Russia.
C. conquering Belgium and the Rhine region.
D. creating a joint Austro-French kingdom.
6. What effect did the Congress of Vienna have on Austria?
A. It transformed Austria into the dual monarchy of Austria-Hungary.
B. It unified Austria into one contiguous landmass.
C. It placed Austria under the authority of the Confederation of the Rhine.
D. It imposed liberal policies upon Austrian subjects.
7. Which best describes the trend or pattern of government in Russia during the nineteenth century?
A. Liberal czars alternated with reactionary ones.
B. Reactionary czars ruled throughout the era.
C. Liberal czars ruled throughout the era.
D. Government gradually became more democratic.
8. All these factors helped bring about the outbreak of the 1905 Revolution except
A. the spread of liberal and Marxist ideas.
B. the reactionary policies of the czar.
C. the effect of industrialization on the peasants.
D. the emancipation of the serfs.
9. _____________________ joined the Turks in opposition to Russia during the Crimean War.
A. Britain and France
B. Austria and France
10. Which aspect of Joseph II’s reign demonstrates his conservative views?
A. establishment of a General Hospital and public school system
B. passage of the Toleration Edicts
C. belief in the monarch’s fitness to rule absolutely
D. patronage of the arts
Today on Education.com
- Coats and Car Seats: A Lethal Combination?
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- Child Development Theories
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- The Homework Debate
- Social Cognitive Theory
- GED Math Practice Test 1
- First Grade Sight Words List