Germany and Italy Unification Practice Test
Review the following study guides if necessary:
1. Which region of Italy had the greatest power and influence after unification?
A. the islands
B. the mountain provinces
C. the northern provinces
D. the southern provinces
2. Pius IX refused to support Italian unification mainly because the new government
A. robbed him of his status as a head of state.
B. abolished Catholicism throughout Italy.
C. wanted to make Rome the Italian capital city.
D. crowned the king of Sardinia as king of Italy.
3. Which phrase best describes Giuseppe Garibaldi?
A. a conservative minister of state
B. a popular republican leader
C. a liberal intellectual
D. a moderate monarchist
4. Bismarck provoked France into declaring war in 1870 with the goal of
A. creating an alliance with the southern German states.
B. making Austria part of a new German confederation.
C. forcing France to pay Germany a heavy war indemnity.
D. forcing the king of France to abdicate.
5. What was the main factor in the German victory over France in 1871?
A. factionalism within France
B. German military superiority
C. German diplomacy
D. French diplomacy
6. The German title kaiser, or emperor, suggested that Germany was symbolically connected to and descended from
A. the Austrian Empire.
B. the Roman Empire.
C. the Holy Roman Empire.
D. the British Empire.
7. __________________ became the core of the new German Empire.
C. Alsace and Lorraine
8. Which best describes the German legislative assembly?
A. a popularly elected house of representatives
B. a largely symbolic house of hereditary nobles
C. a parliament with one house of hereditary nobles and one elective house of representatives
D. a parliament with one house of royally appointed ministers and one house of popularly elected representatives
9. Which step toward German unification happened first?
A. Prussia defeated Austria and took sole control over Schleswig and Holstein.
B. France declared war on Prussia.
C. Prussia annexed Frankfurt.
D. Prussia and Austria took over the duchies of Schleswig and Holstein.
10. All these statements accurately describe both Cavour and Bismarck, except _________________
A. they were both monarchists.
B. they were both conservative.
C. they were both adept at Realpolitik.
D. they both wanted to become dictators.
Add your own comment
Today on Education.com
WORKBOOKSMay Workbooks are Here!
WE'VE GOT A GREAT ROUND-UP OF ACTIVITIES PERFECT FOR LONG WEEKENDS, STAYCATIONS, VACATIONS ... OR JUST SOME GOOD OLD-FASHIONED FUN!Get Outside! 10 Playful Activities
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- The Five Warning Signs of Asperger's Syndrome
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Child Development Theories
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Test Problems: Seven Reasons Why Standardized Tests Are Not Working
- Bullying in Schools
- A Teacher's Guide to Differentiating Instruction
- Steps in the IEP Process