Fact versus Opinion: Reading Comprehension Review Practice Exercises
Read the following study guide for a concept review:
Identify each statement as a fact or an opinion.
- Coffee doesn't always contain caffeine.
- It's easier to write with a pen than a pencil.
- Cell phones should be banned from classrooms.
- Winter is the best season.
- The elephant is the largest land mammal.
- Paper clips are usually metal.
- It's enjoyable to watch a movie.
- I get hives when I eat strawberries.
- Mrs. Booth has been named Teacher of the Year by her students.
- If it is raining, the best type of shoe to wear is a boot.
- Star Wars is one of the ten best movies of all time.
- Star Wars is on my top ten best movie list.
- Some people have jobs that enable them to work from home.
- The Super Bowl is the most exciting football game of the year.
It is a fact that coffee does not always contain caffeine. There is such a thing as decaffeinated coffee, which does not contain caffeine.
Not everyone would agree that it is easier to write with a pen than a pencil. Some people might think it's easier to write with a pencil.
To ban cell phones from classrooms is debatable because of safety issues, so it's not a fact.
Some people might disagree with the statement that winter is the best season. They might prefer spring or summer seasons. All of these preferences are opinions, not facts.
It has been proven than elephants are the largest land mammals. This information is stated in encyclopedias, is known to be true, and, therefore, is a fact.
Some paper clips aren't made of metal, but most are. This is a fact.
Some people might not think going to a movie is enjoyable. Therefore, those who believe it is enjoyable adhere to this opinion.
This one is a bit tricky because you don't know who the I is in the sentence. But regardless of who is speaking, the statement is a fact because it is known to be true by the person talking.
It is a fact that Mrs. Booth's students named her Teacher of the Year. To think that a particular person should be Teacher of the Year is one's opinion, but Mrs. Booth actually being named Teacher of the Year is something that is not debatable.
Some could disagree with this statement. Perhaps one believes boots are not the best type of shoe to wear in the rain. This is an opinion.
Different people have different opinions about which movie is one of the ten best of all time. It is debatable, and it is an opinion.
It can be proven that Star Wars is written on one person's top ten best movies list. The fact lies in that the movie could exist on someone's top ten list, and once it is there, it cannot be debated that it is on the list.
It is a fact that some people have jobs that enable them to work from home. This can be proved by checking the census or tax records.
Some sports fans may disagree with the statement that the Super Bowl is the most exciting football game of the year. This is an opinion.
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- First Grade Sight Words List
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Child Development Theories
- Grammar Lesson: Complete and Simple Predicates
- Definitions of Social Studies
- Social Cognitive Theory
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- Theories of Learning