Humans as a Geological Force Practice Questions
Review these concepts at: Humans as a Geological Force Study Guide
1. Which of the following is the biggest contributor to acid precipitation?
2. Which gas in the stratosphere absorbs the sun's ultraviolet rays?
a. sulfur dioxide
c. nitrogen oxide
d. carbon monoxide
3. The Montreal Protocol was signed by leading industrial nations to limit the emissions of which of the following?
b. carbon dioxide
d. sulfur dioxide
4. Carbon dioxide is today at a level of 370 ppm in the atmosphere. A gas that is 0.1% of the atmosphere would be 1,000 ppm (parts per million). What percent is CO2 in the atmosphere?
5. By what percent has carbon dioxide risen in Earth's atmosphere, relative to its preindustrial value?
6. Which of the following statements about global land use is not true?
a. Cropland is increasing.
b. Old-growth forest is decreasing.
c. Unusable land area (rock, ice, desert) is greater than urbanized land area.
d. Pastureland is less than cropland.
7. How many square meters in one hectare?
a. 100 meters
b. 1,000 meters
c. 10,000 meters
d. 100,000 meters
8. An area in the United States where farmland is returning to forest is
a. the Midwest.
b. New England.
c. the Northwest.
9. Eutrophication creates which of the following?
a. low-oxygen levels in water
b. reduced ozone levels in the stratosphere
c. high rates of chemical weathering from minerals
d. forest damage from acidity
10. In terms of the percent increase of the human flux over that of untouched nature, which process has the largest impact from humans? Look back at the numbers in the text to help you figure out the correct answer.
a. phosphorus input
b. nitrogen fixation
c. river sediment load
d. carbon dioxide levels
1. d. sulfur
2. b. ozone
3. c. CFCs
4. a. 0.037%
5. c. 30%
6. d. pasture is less than cropland
7. c. 10,000 meters
8. b. New England
9. a. low-oxygen levels in water
10. a. phosphorus input
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- First Grade Sight Words List
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Child Development Theories
- Grammar Lesson: Complete and Simple Predicates
- Definitions of Social Studies
- Social Cognitive Theory
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- Theories of Learning