The Nervous System Practice Questions
Review these concepts at: The Nervous System Study Guide
1. What is the functional unit of the nervous system?
a. the nephron
b. the nucleus
c. the neuron
d. the neutrophil
2. Which of the following IS a part of the central nervous system?
a. autonomic nerves
b. sympathetic nerves
c. peripheral nerves
d. spinal cord nerves
3. What general type of substance is used at the synapse to carry the nerve signal from one neuron to another?
a. axon fluid
b. dendrite fluid
4. Dendrites receive information from
a. the axon of other neurons.
b. the dendrites of other neurons.
c. the cell body of other neurons.
d. the nucleus of other neurons.
5. Neurotransmitters are released from
c. cell bodies.
d. the nucleus.
6. Which of the following is NOT true about irritability in living organisms?
a. Plants do not respond to their environment.
b. Neurons are found in the brain.
c. Axons can be very long.
d. Neurons act upon muscles.
1. c. The neuron is the cell type that produces and transports an electrical signal. Groups of neurons are called nerves. The nephron is the functional unit of the kidney. The nucleus is an organelle within many cells (not prokaryotes like the bacteria) and contains the genetic information. The neutrophil is a type of white blood cell.
2. d. The brain and nerves of the spinal cord are considered to be part of the central nervous system. Autonomic nerves are part of the peripheral nervous system that operate without conscious control, and sympathetic nerves are one type of autonomic nerve. Peripheral nerves control the muscles. All nerves feed back to the brain and spinal cord of the central nervous system.
3. c. Neurotransmitters are the chemical substances produced at the end of the axon of one neuron that float across the synaptic gap to stimulate the dendrites of another axon.
4. a. Neurons are lined up with the axon of one near the dendrite of another.
5. a. Neurotransmitters are released from the end of the axon and cross the synapse to reach the dendrite of another neuron.
6. a. Plants do not have a nervous system, but they have cells that respond to many environmental stimuli.
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- First Grade Sight Words List
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Grammar Lesson: Complete and Simple Predicates
- Definitions of Social Studies
- Child Development Theories
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- How to Practice Preschool Letter and Name Writing
- Social Cognitive Theory
- Curriculum Definition