Learning Word Roots Practice
Read the following study guide for a concept review: Learning Word Roots Help
Learning Word Roots Practice
Words in Context
The following exercise will help you figure out the meaning of some words from the vocabulary list by reading context clues. After you have read and understood the paragraph, explain the context clues that helped you with the meaning of the vocabulary word. Refer to the answer section at the end of this chapter for an explanation of the clues.
- Medical researchers can now verify that college freshman living in dormitories are at a greater risk of contracting meningitis than other college students. Meningococcal meningitis is a tenacious bacterial infection of membranes around the brain and spinal chord that, if left untreated, can be fatal.
- Symptoms include fever, neck stiffness, and constant pain from a chronic headache. College officials are using this information as an inducement for vaccinating incoming freshman. Many universities are now offering this vaccine either free or for a nominal fee. The vaccination's protracted effectiveness is three to five years.
Insert the correct word from the vocabulary list into the following sentences.
- Cambodian government officials are preparing to prosecute those leaders most responsible for the Khmer Rouge's _____ of one-fifth of the total population of the country.
- Almost every area of our lives will be affected by our country's _____ changes as the baby boomers age.
- Some infomercials promise rock-hard abdominals as a(n) _____ to buy a variety of exercise machines.
- Janice is awfully quiet and pale tonight; it's such a contrast to her normally _____ personality.
- Because of the _____ they feel for people, studies show that dogs in hospitals treat human patients with unconditional love.
- During the annual San Fermin running of the bulls festival, spectators try to avoid the path of _____ bulls.
- After the car collision, the passenger suffered from _____ back pain for the rest of his life.
- Health fitness experts now _____ that walking ranks as America's most popular activity.
- Temperatures in the desert can _____ greatly from brutally hot during the day to freezing temperatures at night.
- Because of their known _____ toward their human companions, over one thousand dogs were sent overseas to protect American soldiers during the Vietnam War.
- It's hard for my grandfather not to _____ over having to go into a retirement home, as he wants to remain independent as long as possible.
- Famous sports and movie personalities often travel _____ in order to avoid being hounded by the media.
- In order to _____ the alleged thief, proper police procedures must be followed.
- The celebrity guest was known for his exciting storytelling; the talk-show host asked her_ ____ guest to tell the story of his youth.
- After placing their home for sale, the homeowners _____ the first offer for their house because it was too low.
- Even after being treated with strong antibiotics, the _____ ear infection would not ease its grip on its victim.
- The radio was turned down so low that it was barely _____
- The _____ dispute between management and the team players lasted several years.
- Since there was only a(n) _____ fee to enter the bike race, everyone could participate.
- Animal cloning begins with a(n) _____ procedure in which scientists remove the DNA containing nucleus of a female animal's egg and replace it with the genetic material from a body cell of an adult animal's donor
Today on Education.com
- Coats and Car Seats: A Lethal Combination?
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- Child Development Theories
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- First Grade Sight Words List
- Social Cognitive Theory
- The Homework Debate
- GED Math Practice Test 1