Legal Terms Vocabulary Practice
Legal Terms Vocabulary Practice
Words in Context
The following exercise will help you figure out the meaning of some words from the vocabulary list by reading context clues. After you have read and understood the paragraph, explain the context clues that helped you with the meaning of the vocabulary word.
- The attorney explained that if I gave a deposition, then I probably would not have to testify in court. I would still be under oath, but my testimony would be given and transcribed into written form before the trial actually began. I was glad I didn't have to testify because the case seemed pretty ridiculous to me. My Aunt Sally died intestate and without children, so the family did not know what she wanted us to do with her possessions. I was sure that she meant for her house to be a bequest for my mother, who is her sister; yet my aunt's ex-husband, Tom, said the house should be his. He said he had a signed affidavit stating that my aunt told him she would leave him the house. Initially, my mom and I thought we could keep this from becoming a litigious matter, but Tom wasn't willing to discuss the situation with us and come to a compromise. He wanted a third party to adjudicate this dispute, so he hired an attorney, and we were forced to do the same.
Insert the correct word from the vocabulary list into the following sentences.
- The mayor issued a(n) _____ approving the city's subway-improvement plans.
- When I clerked for a judge, I was lucky to be able get to work in a(n) _____ court, where I saw many cases appealed.
- Since it was a small case, I didn't have to go to court; instead, I had to give a(n) _____ under oath while a stenographer recorded everything I said.
- Many types of fur are considered _____ and cannot be imported into the country.
- I am leaving my antiques to my children as a(n) _____
- I had to sign a(n) _____ that stated the house was in perfect condition and that the leak had been fixed.
- It would be nice if the federal government would _____ the use of nuclear weapons.
- When my brother and I were children and got into petty fights, sometimes my father would act as a judge and _____ our dispute.
- In the medical community, many doctors are leading a(n) _____ reform movement, as patients have begun to sue for malpractice even when the doctor is not at fault.
- She was charged with grand theft _____ when she was only sixteen, and since then, has been in and out of juvenile detention centers.
- A(n) _____ clause is a statement that says a contract or agreement will automatically terminate on the expiration date of the agreement unless otherwise amended.
- I do not want to die _____, so I plan to draft a will that clearly states who should inherit my possessions.
- When public officials engage in _____, many citizens feel betrayed.
- Committing _____ in a court of law is a very serious offense.
- The teacher accused the student of _____ when she handed in a paper she found on the Internet.
- _____, the philosophy of the law, is an interesting but complicated topic.
- When the criminal escaped to Mexico, we hoped Mexico would _____ him so we could make him stand trial in the United States for his crime.
- We have a(n) _____ on our house, because we were not able to pay off our debt, so now the bank from which we borrowed the money may take our house to satisfy the loan.
- Scientists sometimes study ancient remains that have been_____ (ed) from very old burial grounds.
- When the attorney called, I knew that the matter had become _____ and we were no longer going to try and settle our disagreement out of court.
Today on Education.com
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- April Fools! The 10 Best Pranks to Play on Your Kids
- Social Cognitive Theory
- Problems With Standardized Testing
- First Grade Sight Words List
- Child Development Theories
- Theories of Learning
- Nature and Nurture