Plurals: Spelling Review Practice Exercises
Read the following study guide for a concept review:
PRACTICE LAP 1
Write the plural form of each of the following words.
- child _____
- tomato _____
- lunch _____
- wolf _____
- ankle _____
- pantry _____
- medium _____
- knife _____
- sweater _____
- parenthesis _____
PRACTICE LAP 2
Before we get to the list of strange rules and total exceptions, let's see how well you can use some of the rules we've learned so far. Choose the correct spelling of the italicized word in each of the following sentences.
- I helped my little sister build a fort out of cardboard (boxes/boxs).
- These (earmuves/earmuffs) may look silly, but they really keep my ears warm!
- We visited two different film (studios/studioes) on our vacation to Hollywood.
- Norman's grandfather earned his (richs/riches) through many years of hard work.
- "Be very quiet," Aladdin said. "There are (thieves/thiefs) in the cave."
- Henry's (daughters-in-law/daughter-in-laws) are both less than 35 years old.
- "Close the (hatches/hatchs)!" shouted the submarine commander.
- I wasn't sure how to choose from the selection of (modems/modemes) at the electronics store.
- Six kids went home with (rashs/rashes) before they discovered that the woods behind the school were filled with poison oak.
- The (navies/navys) of the allied countries are stationed in the same port.
PRACTICE LAP 3
Use your knowledge of the pluralizing rules to find the plurals of the following words.
- tributary _____
- stimulus _____
- politician _____
- ovum _____
- buffalo _____
- paralysis _____
- loaf _____
- umbrella _____
- index _____
- vertebra _____
GAME TIME: SPELLING JUMBLE
The following boxes feature jumbled-up words from the Chapter 7 word list. Write the unscrambled words in the empty boxes. Then unscramble the circled letters to find the answer to each riddle.
What gets bigger the more you take from it?
What has two hands but can't clap?
What can you break by saying its name?
What jumps when it walks and sits when it stands?
Chapter 7 Word List
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- First Grade Sight Words List
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Grammar Lesson: Complete and Simple Predicates
- Definitions of Social Studies
- Child Development Theories
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- How to Practice Preschool Letter and Name Writing
- Social Cognitive Theory
- Theories of Learning