Misplaced Modifiers Practice
Review the lesson for Misplaced Modifiers Help.
Misplaced Modifiers Practice
Rewrite each sentence so that the modifiers are properly placed.
- While fixing the broken lamp, our dog began to bark ferociously.
- Gladys sang with the choir with a broken leg.
- Sara played the Sonata in G for her guests on the piano.
- Covered in sauce, I saw a man barbequing on my bike.
- Holding hands and admiring the view, the birds chirped and the butterflies fluttered.
Homonyms, Homophones, or Homographs
Read each set of clues and figure out which words fit the descriptions. Then indicate if the word pairs are homonyms, homophones, or homographs.
- to move through the air/a pesky insect: homonym/ homophone/homograph
- a fish/a low tone: homonym/homophone/ homograph
- consumed/a number: homonym/homophone/ homograph
- to make/fruits and vegetables: homonym/ homophone/homograph
- permitted/audible: homonym/homophone/ homograph
- small/one-sixtieth of an hour: homonym/ homophone/homograph
- to bend at the waist/a large branch: homonym/ homophone/homograph
- lamp/not heavy: homonym/homophone/ homograph
- also/deuce: homonym/homophone/homograph
- still/writing paper: homonym/homophone/ homograph
- something in a package/satisfied: homonym/ homophone/homograph
- yeast, water, and flour mass/a female deer: homonym/homophone/homograph
- next to/to shut: homonym/homophone/ homograph
- correct/a ceremony: homonym/homophone/ homograph
- relax/the remainder: homonym/homophone/ homograph
- to purchase/by means of: homonym/ homophone/homographh
- odor/transmitted: homonym/homophone/ homograph
- jug/ball player: homonym/homophone/ homograph
- guide/heavy metal: homonym/homophone/ homograph
- a brief look/to stimulate: homonym/ homophone/homograph
Answers for questions 1–5 are suggestions. Your answers may vary.
- While I was fixing the broken lamp, our dog began to bark ferociously.
- Gladys, who had a broken leg, sang with the choir.
- Sara played the Sonata in G on the piano for her guests.
- While riding my bike, I saw a man covered in sauce and barbequing.
- As we held hands and admired the view, the birds chirped and the butterflies fluttered.
- fly/fly: homonym
- bass/bass: homograph
- ate/eight: homophone
- produce/produce: homograph
- allowed/aloud: homophone
- minute/minute: homograph
- bow/bough: homophone
- light/light: homonym
- too/two: homophone
- stationary/stationery: homophone
- content/content: homograph
- dough/doe: homophone
- close/close: homograph
- right/rite: homophone
- rest/rest: homonym
- buy/by: homophone
- scent/sent: homophone
- pitcher/pitcher: homonym
- lead/lead: homograph
- peek/pique: homophone
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- First Grade Sight Words List
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- Theories of Learning
- A Teacher's Guide to Differentiating Instruction
- Social Cognitive Theory
- Child Development Theories
- Curriculum Definition
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development