Prewriting and Outlining: Writing Review Practice Exercises
Review the lesson for Prewriting and Outlining: Writing Review Study Guide.
Practice Exercise: Webbing and Charting
- Which of these ideas would go in the middle of a web?
- create a menu
- buy decorations
- how to plan a party
- make a guest list
- Which of the following ideas could NOT be considered a supporting idea for the topic Advantages of Time Travel?
- can go back and change events in history
- may not be able to get home
- can see the future
- would be a breakthrough in science
- Use the ideas in this list to fill in the blank web.
- Ride bike
- Get exercise
- Read a book
- Learn to swim
- Cool off in the water
- Fun things to do in the summer
- Bike to a friend's house
- Go to the pool
- Get to read something for pleasure
- Stay inside where it's cool
Practice Exercise: Outlining
- Which of the following outlines is correctly formatted?
- Put the following list in order from general to specific (1 = most general, 5 = most specific).
- My favorite mystery writer is Agatha Christie.
- Reading is an activity.
- Sometimes I read mysteries.
- My favorite Agatha Christie novel is Death on the Nile.
- I like to read.
- Circle the line of the outline that doesn't make sense.
- Time When I Felt Lucky
- What happened
- I lost my watch
- Someone returned it to me
- How I felt
- Relieved to have my watch back
- The clasp on the watch was broken
- Thankful toward the person who returned it
- What happened
- Which of the following is NOT true?
- An outline is a way of organizing your ideas.
- Outlines start with more general ideas and get more specific with each level of information.
- Outlines are only necessary for certain essay topics.
- If an outline has an A, it must also have a B.
- It's helpful to weed out weak ideas before starting your outline.
- Format the following list of ideas for the essay topic Places I may want to go on vacation into an outline.
- The beach
- The mountains
- Building sand castles
- Which of the following ideas seems out of place?
- Healthier food in the cafeteria
- More time for exercise at school
- Replace soda machines with water machines
- More pizza parties
- Increase number of health education classes
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- First Grade Sight Words List
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- A Teacher's Guide to Differentiating Instruction
- Theories of Learning
- Child Development Theories
- Social Cognitive Theory
- Curriculum Definition
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development