Philosophical Terms Vocabulary Practice
Philosophical Terms Vocabulary Practice
Words in Context
The following exercise will help you figure out the meaning of some words from the vocabulary list by reading context clues. After you have read and understood the paragraph, explain the context clues that helped you with the meaning of the vocabulary word. Refer to the answer section at the end of this lesson for an explanation of the clues.
- It always inspires me to remember my old teacher. He was one of the few people who really believed we could make the world a better place, and he had this wonderful vision of a future utopia that he was absolutely convinced was inevitable. For him, altruism was not just some abstraction, some big word that you could discuss in a philosophy class and then forget about; it was a way of life. It was a basic tenet of his that each person should do all that they can to help others, and he certainly taught us well enough by his own example. But his pragmatism also kept him well grounded and focused on real solutions to local concerns, and perhaps that is why none of his critics could dismiss him. Many did not understand that the fabulous entertaining he did was all part of his mission and not just some selfish hedonism. Rather, he was motivating and rewarding his team, and you could not leave one of his parties without understanding his unique ideology a little better, resolved to commit even more fully to a life of public service.
Insert the correct word from the vocabulary list into the following sentences.
- The _____ that we based this on is outdated, so we will need a new model for the upcoming project.
- I know that she is certified as a "healer," but I don't trust her methods—I think she is just a(n)_____.
- Studying about Chinese culture did not prepare me for the _____ between the two cultures that I experienced when I lived in Shanghai for a year.
- As an inexperienced writer, her work was replete with _____ , but in time, she learned how to spot and eliminate redundancies.
- This may sound like a _____, but I think that standing in one place is more tiring than walking.
- I tried to fill him with hope, the _____ of despair, which is what he has been feeling ever since he lost his job.
- My favorite science fiction book describes a(n) _____, a place that is perfect in its social, political, and moral characteristics.
- Sandra's _____ has rubbed off on me, and now I am much more practical in my approach to life.
- My _____, or ideas about life and work, has been largely infl uenced by my parents.
- Sophie is known for her _____, as she donates a lot of time to help those in need.
- One would think that most young people don't adhere to the popular _____ "All humans are mortal, and I am human; therefore, I must be mortal," because they act as if they think they're invincible.
- One of the _____ (s) of physical science says that no two objects can occupy the same space at the same time.
- I wish I could abandon all my responsibilities, follow them down there on their vacation, and join them in their carefree _____.
- It was a(n) _____ opinion, and I had to respect his thorough research, but nonetheless, I still disagreed and thought the procedure should be banned.
- If we just use a little bit of _____, we should be able to figure out a solution to our problem.
- It is not just a small _____ mistake; you just introduced me as someone you work with, when we both know that I hired you to work for me.
- In all the years I have known him, I have never known him to question the _____ of his church.
- He mocked us and told us we were foolish to spend our time discussing such a(n) _____, but we knew that few things were more important than trying to better understand just what honor really meant.
- I subscribe to a similar _____, and I also believe that birds have an important purpose that would be well worth understanding.
- It is amusing to hear some people use so many _____ expressions that they probably have just learned from television.
Today on Education.com
- Coats and Car Seats: A Lethal Combination?
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- Child Development Theories
- GED Math Practice Test 1
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Social Cognitive Theory
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- The Homework Debate
- Problems With Standardized Testing