Magnetism Practice Test
Review the following concepts if needed:
- Geomagnetism Help
- Magnetic Force Help
- Magnetic Field Strength Help
- Electromagnets Help
- Magnetic Materials Help
- Magnetic Machines Help
- Magnetic Data Storage Help
Magnetism Practice Test
A good score is eight correct. Answers are given at the end.
1. The geomagnetic field
(a) makes the Earth like a huge horseshoe magnet.
(b) runs exactly through the geographic poles.
(c) makes a compass work.
(d) makes an electromagnet work.
2. A material that can be permanently magnetized is generally said to be
(c) permanently magnetic.
3. The magnetic flux around a straight current-carrying wire
(a) gets stronger with increasing distance from the wire.
(b) is strongest near the wire.
(c) does not vary in strength with distance from the wire.
(d) consists of straight lines parallel to the wire.
4. The gauss is a unit of
(a) overall magnetic field strength.
(c) magnetic flux density.
(d) magnetic power.
5. If a wire coil has 10 turns and carries 500 mA of current, what is the magnetomotive force in ampere-turns?
6. Which of the following is not generally observed in a geomagnetic storm?
(a) Charged particles streaming out from the Sun
(b) Fluctuations in the Earth’s magnetic field
(c) Disruption of electrical power transmission
(d) Disruption of microwave propagation
7. An ac electromagnet
(a) will attract only other magnetized objects.
(b) will attract iron filings.
(c) will repel other magnetized objects.
(d) will either attract or repel permanent magnets depending on the polarity.
8. A substance with high retentivity is best suited for making
(a) an ac electromagnet.
(b) a dc electromagnet.
(c) an electrostatic shield.
(d) a permanent magnet.
9. A device that reverses magnetic field polarity to keep a dc motor rotating is
(a) a solenoid.
(b) an armature coil.
(c) a commutator.
(d) a field coil.
10. An advantage of a magnetic disk, as compared with magnetic tape, for data storage and retrieval is that
(a) a disk lasts longer.
(b) data can be stored and retrieved more quickly with disks than with tapes.
(c) disks look better.
(d) disks are less susceptible to magnetic fields.
Today on Education.com
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- Coats and Car Seats: A Lethal Combination?
- Child Development Theories
- GED Math Practice Test 1
- The Homework Debate
- Graduation Inspiration: Top 10 Graduation Quotes
- Social Cognitive Theory
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- First Grade Sight Words List