Addition of Fractions Help
Addition of Fractions
In order to add two or more fractions, the fractions must have the same denominator.
To add two or more fractions:
- Step 1 Find the LCD of the fractions .
- Step 2 Change the fractions to equivalent fractions in higher terms with the LCD .
- Step 3 Add the numerators of the fractions .
- Step 4 Reduce or simplify the answer if possible .
Since both fractions have the same denominator, add the numerators and reduce the fractions:
Step 1 Find the LCD. It is 24.
Step 2 Change the fractions to higher terms:
Step 3 Add the numerators:
Step 4 Simplify the answers:
Addition can be done vertically, as shown:
Addition of Fractions Practice Problems
Add each of the following fractions:
Practice problems for these concepts can be found at: More Advanced Fractions Practice Test.
Today on Education.com
- Coats and Car Seats: A Lethal Combination?
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- Child Development Theories
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Social Cognitive Theory
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- GED Math Practice Test 1
- The Homework Debate
- Problems With Standardized Testing