Addition of Polynomials Help
Monomials and Polynomials
An algebraic expression consists of variables (letters), constants (numbers), operation signs, and grouping symbols. Also recall that a term of an algebraic expression consists of a number, variable, or a product or quotient of numbers and variables. The terms of an algebraic expression are connected by + or - signs. An algebraic expression consisting only of the four operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division), and which has no variable in the denominator of a term, is called a polynomial . If the expression has one term, it is called a monomial . If the expression has two terms, it is called a binomial . If the expression has three terms, it is called a trinomial .
Addition of Polynomials
Recall that only like terms can be added or subtracted. For example, 5x + 6x = 11x. Unlike terms cannot be added or subtracted.
To add two or more polynomials, add like terms .
Add (3x 2 + 2x –5) + (5x 2 – 7x + 3)
Math Note: Recall that when the numerical coefficient is one, it is not written: i.e., xy = 1xy. Likewise -xy = -1xy.
Add (2x + y) + (2x – 5) + (3y – 7).
Math Note: If the sum of two like terms is 0, do not write the term in the sum.
Addition of Polynomials Practice Problems
1. (6x 2 + 3x – 8) + (2x 2 – 5x – 9)
2. (3x + 2y – 2) + (4x – 2y + 8)
3. (2x + 5) + (7x – 10) + (3x – 4) + (4x – 6)
4. (3a 2 b 2 + 5) + (a 2 b 2 + 2ab +4)
5. (9m + 5n – 2) + (4n – 8) + (6m + 7)
1. 8x 2 – 2x – 17
2. 7x + 6
3. 16x – 15
4. 4a 2 b 2 + 9
5. 15m + 9n – 3
Practice problems for these concepts can be found at: Operations with Monomials and Polynomials Practice Test.
Today on Education.com
- Coats and Car Seats: A Lethal Combination?
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- Child Development Theories
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- The Homework Debate
- Social Cognitive Theory
- First Grade Sight Words List
- GED Math Practice Test 1