Fractions in Word Problems Help
Fractions in Word Problems
Word problems involving fractions are performed using the same procedure as those involving whole numbers.
A plumber needs to install a sink using pieces of pipe measuring inches, inches, inches and inches. Find the total length of the pipe needed to cut all the pieces.
Since we are finding a total, we use addition:
The plumber would need a piece of pipe at least inches long.
It takes Bill hours to cut a lawn. It takes Walter hours to cut the same lawn. How much faster is Bill?
Since we are looking for a difference, we subtract:
It takes Bill of an hour less to cut the lawn.
How much will a trip of 212 miles cost if the allowance is cents per mile?
To change cents to dollars, divide by 100.
5883 ÷ 100 = $58.83
Hence the allowance for the trip is $58.83.
How many cubic feet will a 240-gallon tank hold if one cubic foot of water is about gallons?
Hence, the tank will hold about 32 cubic feet of water.
Fractions in Word Problems Practice Problems
l. A recipe calls for cups of flour. If the baker wishes to make the cake 4 times as large as the original recipe, how many cups of flour should she use?
2. A inch bolt is placed through a piece of wood that is inches thick. How much of the bolt is extending out?
3. In order to make a support beam, a carpenter nails together a piece of wood that is inches thick with a piece of wood that is inches thick. How thick is the support?
4. A sign is to be inches wide. How many signs can be cut from a piece of card stock that is inches wide?
5. A person decided to buy an automobile that costs $19,500 with paid in cash and the balance paid in 12 monthly installments. How much is the down payment and each monthly payment?
1. 9 cups
Practice problems for these concepts can be found at: More Advanced Fractions Practice Test.
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- First Grade Sight Words List
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Definitions of Social Studies
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- Curriculum Definition
- Theories of Learning
- A Teacher's Guide to Differentiating Instruction
- Child Development Theories
- 8 Things First-Year Students Fear About College