Area of Squares, Rectangles and Triangles Help
Area of Squares, Rectangles, and Triangles
The area of a geometric figure is the number of square units contained in its surface. For example, the area of the 3-inch by 2-inch rectangle is 6 square inches as shown in Fig. 9-7 .
Area is measured in square units. A square inch is a square whose sides measure one inch. A square foot is a square whose sides measure one foot, etc. Square units are abbreviated using two for the exponent:
- 1 square inch = 1 in. 2
- 1 square foot = 1 ft 2
- 1 square yard = 1 yd 2
- 1 square mile = 1 mi 2
Area of a Rectangle
The area of a rectangle is found by using the formula A = lw, where l is the length and w is the width.
Find the area of the rectangle shown in Fig. 9-8 .
Area of a Square
The area of a square can be found by using the formula A = s 2, where s is the length of its side.
Find the area of the square shown in Fig. 9-9 .
Area of a Triangle
To find the area of a triangle you need to know the measure of its altitude. The altitude of a triangle is the measure of a perpendicular line from its highest point to its base (the side opposite its highest point). See Fig. 9-10.
The area of a triangle can be found by using the formula , where b is the base and h is the height or altitude .
Find the area of the triangle shown in Fig. 9-11 .
Area of Squares, Rectangles, and Triangles Practice Problems
1. Find the area of a rectangle whose length is 123 yards and whose width is 53 yards.
2. Find the area of a square whose side is 53 inches.
3. Find the area of a triangle whose base is 16 inches and whose height is 9 inches.
1. 6519 yd 2
2. 2809 in. 2
3. 72 in. 2
Practice problems for these concepts can be found at: Informal Geometry Practice Test.
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- First Grade Sight Words List
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Grammar Lesson: Complete and Simple Predicates
- Definitions of Social Studies
- Child Development Theories
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- Social Cognitive Theory
- How to Practice Preschool Letter and Name Writing
- Theories of Learning