Word Problems Involving Measurement Help
Word Problems Involving Measurement
The following procedure can be used to solve word problems involving measurement :
- Step 1 Read the problem and decide what you are being asked to find .
- Step 2 Select the correct conversion factor or factors .
- Step 3 Multiply or divide .
- Step 4 Complete any additional steps necessary .
Find the cost of 24 feet of rope if it costs $0.59 per yard.
Change 24 ft to yards:
24 ft ÷ 3 ft = 8 yd
Find the cost of 8 yd:
$0.59 × 8 = $4.72
Hence, 24 feet of rope will cost $4.72.
If a gallon of oil costs $4.95 and a quart of oil costs $1.79, how much is saved by buying the oil in gallons instead of quarts if a person needs 3 gallons of oil?
Cost of 3 gallons of oil
$4.95 × 3 = $14.85
Change 3 gallons to quarts:
3 gal × 4 qt = 12 qt
Cost of 12 qt of oil
$1.79 × 12 = $21.48
$21.48 – $14.85 = $6.63
Hence, a person can save $6.63 by buying the oil in gallons instead of quarts.
Word Problems Involving Measurement Practice Problems
1. If a family uses one quart of milk per day, how many gallons are used in one year?
2. How many 6-ounce boxes of candy can be filled from a 3-pound box of candy?
3. How many cubic feet of salt water are in a container that weighs one ton? One cubic foot of water weighs 64 pounds (ignore the weight of the container).
4. If the speed of light is 186,000 miles per second, how long (in hours) does it take the light from the sun to reach the planet Pluto, if it is 2,763,000,000 miles from the sun?
5. It takes 6 inches of ribbon to make a decorative identification badge. Find the cost of making 30 badges, if ribbon costs $0.39 per yard?
1. 91.25 gal
2. 8 boxes
3. 31.25 gal
4. 4.13 hr (rounded)
Practice problems for these concepts can be found at: Pre-Algebra Measurement Test.
Today on Education.com
- Coats and Car Seats: A Lethal Combination?
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- Child Development Theories
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Social Cognitive Theory
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- GED Math Practice Test 1
- Problems With Standardized Testing
- The Homework Debate