Word Roots Practice
Read the following study guide for a concept review: Word Roots Help
Word Roots Practice
Words in Context
The following exercise will help you figure out the meaning of some words from the vocabulary list by reading context clues. After you have read and understood the paragraph, explain the context clues that helped you with the meaning of the vocabulary word. Refer to the answer section at the end of this chapter for an explanation of the clues.
Scientists at the New York Aquarium in Brooklyn have discovered that bottle-nosed dolphins may have self-awareness. They attribute this belief to the result of experiments by Dr. Diane Reiss at the Osborn Lab of Marine Science. She and her team gave further credence to this notion by marking dolphins' noses with an x and an o. Sometimes the mark was done with just water, sometimes with colored waterproof dye.
Each time a dolphin was marked, it would check itself in the mirror. If it had a conspicuous colored mark, it would swim to the side of the pool and try to rub it off. As a result of these experiments, scientists made an inference that because these dolphins recognized their image in a mirror, they were self-aware. Before these experiments, gorillas had set the precedent of being the only mammals other than humans who could recognize their images.
Insert the correct word from the vocabulary list into the following sentences.
- Reaching heights of 310 feet, the Millennium Force roller coaster is the most _____ ride at the Cedar Point Amusement Park.
- In only one generation, the immigrant family was _____ able to to its new surroundings.
- Recent ocean-floor discoveries have made it _____ that the huge part of our planet hidden underwater still holds surprises that are waiting to be uncovered.
- Some pest-control companies guarantee that their _____ products will not leave any traces in either air or soil.
- The _____ couple founded Out of Africa rehabilitation and learning center for abandoned or injured wild cats.
- In order to become more _____, the shy young woman enrolled in a public speaking course.
- The largest _____ to advancing in society is a lack of education.
- Despite recent attacks, it is no _____ that humans are much more dangerous to sharks than sharks are to humans.
- The restaurant got four stars in the newspaper review, but I thought it was only _____.
- Lance Armstrong's recovery from cancer and comeback as world-champion cyclist gives _____ to his positive attitude and perseverance.
- As a result of the administration's tax rebate policy, most U.S. taxpayers received a(n) _____ of $300–$600.
- The multimillion-dollar cultural arts center was built due to the _____ of wealthy patrons.
- Scientists made _____ predictions about the damage from Europe's most active volcano, Mt. Etna in Sicily.
- In her warm and funny short stories, Eudora Welty preferred to talk about simple, humble characters rather than _____, high-society people.
- Her local association was _____ to the worldwide environmental organization.
- The writer _____ from his publisher's e-mail that his book was approved for publishing.
- The elderly woman became increasingly _____ and refused to leave her apartment.
- He used the first chapter of his novel to _____ the historical background of the special air force unit in WWII.
- Research has shown that as adults, even twins who are separated at birth have similar _____.
- Before Sandra Day O'Connor's appointment, there was no _____ set for a federally appointed female Supreme Court Justice.
Add your own comment
Today on Education.com
SUMMER LEARNINGJune Workbooks Are Here!
TECHNOLOGYAre Cell Phones Dangerous for Kids?
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- The Five Warning Signs of Asperger's Syndrome
- First Grade Sight Words List
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Graduation Inspiration: Top 10 Graduation Quotes
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Child Development Theories
- Should Your Child Be Held Back a Grade? Know Your Rights
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- Smart Parenting During and After Divorce: Introducing Your Child to Your New Partner