Writing Lanugage and Style Practice Exercises
Read the following study guide for a concept review:
Read each passage actively and carefully. Then answer the questions that follow.
If you come across unfamiliar words as you read these passages, do not look them up until after you've answered the questions.
The passage that follows is an advertisement for Mercury Shoes.
Help your feet take flight! Mercury Shoes promises you high quality and can save you from the aches and pains that runners often suffer.
Running magazine has awarded Mercury Shoes its "High Quality" rating for our breakthrough in shoe technology! By studying the feet of track and field champions and ultra-marathoners, we have developed a revolutionary sole construction that offers complete support for dedicated runners. Our unique combination of gel and air cushioning provides greater stability and incredible comfort.
Three types of Mercury Shoes are now available:
Cheetahs: A racing shoe that combines light weight with real support.
Mountain Goats: A superior trail-running shoe with great traction and stability even on muddy or slick trails.
Gray Wolves: A shoe that gives maximum support in order to minimize common injuries caused by mile after mile of training runs on hard pavement.
Read the following questions. Circle the letter of the answer you think is correct.
- The ad uses which point of view to refer to its readers?
- first person
- second person
- third person
- none of the above
- The shoe names Cheetahs, Mountain Goats, and Gray Wolves reflect
- the personality of the shoe designer.
- the personality of the runner.
- the kind of running the shoe is designed for.
- the company's mascots.
- Which of the following best describes the style of this passage?
- long sentences, lots of descriptive words
- lots of short, choppy, "bossy" sentences
- lots of similes and metaphors to create images
- slangy, informal words
- Which of the following is presented as a fact in the ad?
- Mercury Shoes can save you from the aches and pains that runners often suffer.
- Running magazine has awarded Mercury Shoes its "High Quality" rating.
- Mercury Shoes has developed a revolutionary sole construction.
- Mountain Goats are superior trail-running shoes.
This is the first stanza of a poem by Percy Shelley. The lines are numbered to help you answer the questions.
- I bring fresh showers for the thirsting flowers,
- From the seas and the streams;
- I bear light shade for the leaves when laid
- In their noonday dreams.
- From my wings are shaken the dews that waken
- The sweet buds every one,
- When rocked to rest on their mother's breast,
- As she dances about the sun.
- I wield the flail of the lashing hail,
- And whiten the green plains under,
- And then again I dissolve it in rain,
- And laugh as I pass in thunder.
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- First Grade Sight Words List
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- Definitions of Social Studies
- A Teacher's Guide to Differentiating Instruction
- Curriculum Definition
- Theories of Learning
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Child Development Theories