Stoichiometry and Chemical Equations Practice Questions
Review the following concepts if needed - Stoichiometry and Chemical Equations Study Guide
Write the balanced equations for the following reactions.
1. C2H6 + O2→ CO2 + H2O
2. Na + H2O → NaOH + H2
3. Ammonium nitrate decomposes to yield dinitrogen monoxide and water.
4. Ammonia reacts with oxygen gas to form nitrogen monoxide and water.
5. Iron (III) oxide reacts with carbon (C) to yield iron metal and carbon monoxide.
6. Hydrogen gas reacts with carbon monoxide to yield methanol (CH3OH). How many grams of methanol are formed when 15.6 g of hydrogen react with excess carbon monoxide?
7. How many moles of carbon dioxide are formed in the fermentation of 75 g of glucose?
8. The thermite reaction (Fe2O3 + Al → Fe + Al2O3) can be used to ignite solid-fuel rockets or bombs. How much aluminum is needed to react with 10.0 g of Fe2O3?
9. Identify the limiting reactant and how much ammonia gas can be produced when 7.2 g of nitrogen gas react with 1.5 g of hydrogen gas by the use of the Haber process: 3H2 + N2→ 2NH3.
10. Identify the limiting reactant and how much carbon dioxide gas can be produced when 15.2 g of methane react with 18.5 g of oxygen gas to produce water and carbon dioxide.
11. Identify the limiting reactant and how much nitric acid can be produced when 60.0 g of nitrogen dioxide react with 18.5 g of water to produce nitric acid and nitrogen monoxide.
12. Identify the limiting reactant and how much aspirin (C9H8O4) can be produced when 52.3 g of salicylic acid (C8H6O3) react with 25.0 g of acetic acid (CH3CO2H): C8H6O3 + CH3CO2H → C9H8O4 + H2O.
Calculate the percent yield for practice problems 9 through 12 if
13. 6.3 g of ammonia were produced from problem 9.
14. 12.4 g of carbon dioxide were produced from problem 10.
15. 51 g of nitric acid were produced from problem 11.
16. 31.0 g of aspirin were produced from problem 12.
1. 2C2H6 + 7O2 → 4CO2 + 6H2O
2. 2Na + 2H2O → 2NaOH + H2
3. NH4NO3 → N2O + 2H2O
4. 4NH3 + 5O2 → 4NO + 6H2O
5. Fe2O3 + 3C → 2Fe + 3CO
6. 124 g
7. 37 g
8. 3.38 g
9. Limiting reactant = H2; theoretical yield = 8.4 g
10. Limiting reactant = O2; theoretical yield = 12.7 g
11. Limiting reactant = NO2; theoretical yield = 55 g
12. Limiting reactant = salicylic acid; theoretical yield = 62.8 g